How To Set Up 5 Gal Qt Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by Epicoz, Apr 20, 2019.

1. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I have a five gallon qt I want to set up. I have bio media from my twenty I will put in but how long should I cycle it and how. I think I should use api instant start but I’m not sure. I plan to put a cave and some javamoss in there. I’m going to put 2 black neon tetras and 1 zebra danio in there for two weeks probaly how should I set it up.

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

If you have a sponge filter running in your 20 then u should transfer it over to the 5. If you dont u should get a sponge filter and airpump and ru n it in your 20 for a month or so tha way you will have a good established filter running in your qt

3. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Everything that needs to be said, on subject, is said, I agree hole-heartedly with @kallililly1973.

4. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I have a sponge filter but it needs a little longer in the 20

5. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

if its in the budget there are some nice dual port air pumps that u can run 2 sponges on. I just picked up a nice silent one off amazon for $8 that way u can run 2 sponges in an established tank then when the sponge is well fed it can help with your cycle in any tanks u set up in the future.. Good luck!!

6. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Of I have i cartridge and a sponge running I could just put two sponges back to back in the resouvour though

7. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I would do that, if I where you. :)

8. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Ok I can just move that one sponge over to the qt and I’ll still have a cartridge but I’ll get another sponge where can I get them they need to be small

9. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

10. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

i got a nice tiny corner sponge filter off amazon for like 4-5$ works great

11. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Yes, they are mainly used for bettas, anyway!:)