How To Send Aquarium Plants Via Mail Delivery?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Nimra, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Nimra

NimraNew MemberMember

Hi! I would like to ship some of the freshwater plants via express mail delivery, but the company said that the can't accept containers with water in them.

Is there any way I could ship the plants without water, but so that they still survive (this would be a within 24hrs delivery). Like wrapping them in something with moisture or? The plants that I would probably ship are najas guadalupensis, sagitaria subulata or limnophilia sessiflora for instance.

Thanks!

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I shipped a box full of plants in plastic bags with only a small amount of water in the bottom of each bag, and I tied a soaking wet paper towel over the entire plant itself. They should be fine with being wrapped in a saturated paper towel.

3. OP
    OP
    Nimra

NimraNew MemberMember

Thanks, I also read about people doing that. I guess I might run some tests at home to see how well they will handle it.

4. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Hi I did the same as above and it worked the second time when put in a box, they were dead when I used a bubble envelope.
    So I laid layers of paper towels down, saturated them with tank water, put plants on it. Used another wet towel and wrapped the roots, gently folded paper towels over the entire plant, put into ziplock bag with just a tad more water to be soaked up. Let most of the air out. Then I put that into a bubble envelope for insulation and into the box. This went from Az to Georgia where it’s hot, 3 days later the recipient says they were fine.

5. OP
    OP
    Nimra

NimraNew MemberMember

Water saturated paper towels it is then. The distances I will be sending them are around 200 km or so, so I think they will be just fine if I do what you did. Thanks!

6. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, all of my non tissue cultures come with a cheap plain wet paper towel wrapped around them, inside a plastic bag, usually heat sealed, with a reflective bubble wrap wrapped around it all in a padded envelope. We had a cold snap and the crypt flamingo barely lived, but everything else has been fine. Lfs plants that come in potted? They arrive the same way except newspaper instead of paper towels, styrofoam instead of bubble wrap, and cardboard boxes instead of a padded envelope.