Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

How To Seal Unsafe Tank Decorations?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Demonwolf37, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Demonwolf37New MemberMember

What's the best way to seal unsafe aquarium decor?

In particular, I've been been making custom ornaments for my aquascape for the last two weeks or so, and I only just noticed that I've been using the wrong silicone (I've been using GE II, which I know for a fact is deadly to fish).

The colors of the ornaments doesn't matter, so I was thinking about soaking each piece in black Flex Seal just to make it safe, since Flex Seal says it's water and animal safe.

Do you suppose that'll be okay, or should I do something else? I'd really rather not gave to renake all of my ornaments if possible.

2. DoughBoy93090Valued MemberMember

When it comes to your fish’s safety it’s better to start from scratch. I’m not familiar with creating my own decor but even completely sealed I wouldn’t like the idea of having something potentially toxic in my tank.

I’d love to see what you’re working on, been contemplating making a few pieces because of the cost of store bought items.

3. Demonwolf37New MemberMember

They're little model skyscrapers for a post apocalyptic/flooded city I'm working on . I found that eggcrate makes for excellent scaffolding/skeletons of big buildings.

I was working on covering them in plastic mesh when I realized I had been using the wrong silicone.

4. DoughBoy93090Valued MemberMember

Sounds cool! You’ll have to post some pics when your done.

5. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

I agree with @DoughBoy93090 start again with the right stuff this could easily backfire and end in tears

6. Demonwolf37New MemberMember

Do you suppose I could peel the silicone off the pieces, wash them thoroughly, and reassemble them correctly? Or is that likely to leave residue still?
    Or even peel it off, wash them, reassemble them, and then seal the whole thing?