How To Safety Lower Temperature?

Rainy day

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey, I noticed a lot of activity in one of my tanks today and realized the temperature had risen to 89.2f from the 82f I normally keep it at. I don't know if my heater malfunctioned or if it's just hot today but I obviously need to lower the temperature back to 82.

What would be the best way to proceed to minimize shock for my fish? My house sits at 24c, which is 75.2f, would allowing it to adjust to room temperature and then sticking a heater in once it hits 82 be too quick of a change?

Thanks.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try running a fan on top of the tank.

Or if you have any bottles in your refrigerator, you can float them in the aquarium without letting the inside touch the water.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd do it just like you suggested. Pull out the heather and let it gradually lower.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ZooMed makes a pretty good fan called the "Aquacool" which is about 12 volts and cools the water through surface evaporation. It's about $30-40 though, but should last a very long time. Or, as an alternative, you can buy a simple clip on fan.

Rainy day

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the suggestions, I let it adjust to room temp and it miraculously dropped exactly 1 degree Fahrenheit per hour.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom