How to safely switch filters in a tank.

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by fbn, Mar 17, 2010.

1. fbn

fbnWell Known MemberMember

Hello, I bought a filter for my fish tank today form my friends that were having a benefit sale. It was $5. It is in VERY nice condition. It is Aquatech (are they a good brand?). My question is, how do I safely remove the other filter and add this one WITH OUT my tank cycling? Should I have the new one running with the old one for a week or something? Thanks!

2. bubblefishValued MemberMember

Other members may have different opinions but I don't think the aquatech is much better than the tetra whisper that you have listed in your profile. If I was thinking of upgrading a filter from a tetra whisper, I would be looking for a filter that could accommodate filter media for better biological filtration like ceramic rings, etc.

3. OP
    OP
    fbn

I upgraded the size of filter. My previous filter was for only a 10 gal. This is for 20-40 Gal.

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

just move your media to the new filter or run both on the existing tank for a month and you should be good to go!

5. OP
    OP
    fbn

Wow, where was my brain! Thanks Shawnie! How dense can I be? Haha why didn't I think of that?

6. Shawnie

its called brunette moments for me!! and I have them all too often!! goodluck!

7. bubblefishValued MemberMember

Ah, then I would say it's better than your whisper, LOL.

8. OP
    OP
    fbn

Haha I like this new one. I just put it in. Hey! Any filter for $5 is nice!

9. bubblefishValued MemberMember

Can't argue that.

10. Shawnie

:;nw +2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice