How to safely switch filters in a tank.

1. fbn

fbn Well Known Member Member

Hello, I bought a filter for my fish tank today form my friends that were having a benefit sale. It was $5. It is in VERY nice condition. It is Aquatech (are they a good brand?). My question is, how do I safely remove the other filter and add this one WITH OUT my tank cycling? Should I have the new one running with the old one for a week or something? Thanks!

2. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

Other members may have different opinions but I don't think the aquatech is much better than the tetra whisper that you have listed in your profile. If I was thinking of upgrading a filter from a tetra whisper, I would be looking for a filter that could accommodate filter media for better biological filtration like ceramic rings, etc.

3. OP
    OP
    fbn

I upgraded the size of filter. My previous filter was for only a 10 gal. This is for 20-40 Gal.

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

just move your media to the new filter or run both on the existing tank for a month and you should be good to go!

5. OP
    OP
    fbn

Wow, where was my brain! Thanks Shawnie! How dense can I be? Haha why didn't I think of that?

6. Shawnie

its called brunette moments for me!! and I have them all too often!! goodluck!

7. b

Ah, then I would say it's better than your whisper, LOL.

8. OP
    OP
    fbn

Haha I like this new one. I just put it in. Hey! Any filter for $5 is nice!

9. b

Can't argue that.

10. Shawnie

:;nw +2