How To Rig Up A Hood?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Andria9000, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Andria9000

Andria9000 Valued Member Member

I recently bought a 55 gallon on Craigslist but it didn't come with a hood. The tank wth stand and a few heaters, air pumps, accessories was 100$ I thought it was a great deal! Anyways, I couldn't bring myself to spend another 100 on the hood alone. So I bought two 20$ amazon hoods that are 20 inches each thinking I can somehow extend the lip and if there is a little open space that would be ok. I have goldfish they aren't gonna jump out. How would you go about this? What material is good hear/water resistant

2. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

I would just purchase the versa top. I have tried to build custom lids, but youll end up spending more trying to build one than just using a versa top.

3. OP
    OP
    Andria9000

Oh what's a versa top? I shall google it

4. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

5. r

radar Valued Member Member

The Aqueon 24" is what I use on my 55's. Mine have the center brace. They also have them, I believe, for the 55 without the center brace. I get mine at Dr.Foster and Smith's and the price is lower than Amazon. Also free shipping.

6. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Don't 55 gallons measure 48"?

I have a 55 and use a 48" shop light that fits right on top perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  7. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

The amazon link is $30 a piece! Foster and Smith is $13 each so that would be $26 for both.

8. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

If the tank has a center brace it would require two 24" lids. If it doesn't it would just be one 48" lid.

And yes it is cheaper on Foster and Smith, I was just referencing the item.

9. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Yes, thought about it after and realized that with the brace it's 24" my mistake. I think that even with the brace it would be cheaper for a shop light tho. I only paid $10 for mine at Walmart then $26.99 per bulb at my lfs.

10. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

OP is asking for a lid, hasn't mentioned a light.

11. OP
    OP
    Andria9000

Well I do need a light as well as I have a large amazon sword in my tank. So I was thinking I could use two smaller hoods with lights and somehow make it work. I do have a brace and it would be 24 inches to fit perfect but I bought 20 inch ones

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice