How To Rig Up A Hood?

Andria9000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently bought a 55 gallon on Craigslist but it didn't come with a hood. The tank **** stand and a few heaters, air pumps, accessories was 100$ I thought it was a great deal! Anyways, I couldn't bring myself to spend another 100 on the hood alone. So I bought two 20$ amazon hoods that are 20 inches each thinking I can somehow extend the lip and if there is a little open space that would be ok. I have goldfish they aren't gonna jump out. How would you go about this? What material is good hear/water resistant

KO_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would just purchase the versa top. I have tried to build custom lids, but youll end up spending more trying to build one than just using a versa top.

Andria9000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh what's a versa top? I shall google it

KO_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

radar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The Aqueon 24" is what I use on my 55's. Mine have the center brace. They also have them, I believe, for the 55 without the center brace. I get mine at Dr.Foster and Smith's and the price is lower than Amazon. Also free shipping.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Don't 55 gallons measure 48"?

I have a 55 and use a 48" shop light that fits right on top perfectly.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The amazon link is $30 a piece! Foster and Smith is $13 each so that would be $26 for both.

KO_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
danhutchins said:
Don't 55 gallons measure 48"?

I have a 55 and use a 48" shop light that fits right on top perfectly.
If the tank has a center brace it would require two 24" lids. If it doesn't it would just be one 48" lid.

And yes it is cheaper on Foster and Smith, I was just referencing the item.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
KayOh said:
If the tank has a center brace it would require two 24" lids. If it doesn't it would just be one 48" lid.

And yes it is cheaper on Foster and Smith, I was just referencing the item.
Yes, thought about it after and realized that with the brace it's 24" my mistake. I think that even with the brace it would be cheaper for a shop light tho. I only paid $10 for mine at Walmart then $26.99 per bulb at my lfs.

KO_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
danhutchins said:
Yes, thought about it after and realized that with the brace it's 24" my mistake. I think that even with the brace it would be cheaper for a shop light tho. I only paid $10 for mine at Walmart then $26.99 per bulb at my lfs.
OP is asking for a lid, hasn't mentioned a light.

Andria9000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I do need a light as well as I have a large amazon sword in my tank. So I was thinking I could use two smaller hoods with lights and somehow make it work. I do have a brace and it would be 24 inches to fit perfect but I bought 20 inch ones

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom