How To Rid Myself Of The Mopani Algae? Help

1. Sanderguy777

Sanderguy777 Valued Member Member

So I put some mopani in my 60 gallon and the fluffy white algae (or fungus) began to grow. I knew that was gonna happen but I didn't think it would also grow on the glass of my tank.
    My question is, is there an additive that a can pour in to kill all the white stuff? Or at least slow it down?

P.s. there are bubbles forming along with the white stuff, is that normal? Are they harmful to my tank?

2. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

How long do you run your lights? How old is the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Sanderguy777

It's about two months old. The sun hits it for probably 6 hours the tank light is only used when we're actually home, but ambient light hits it for 13 hours a day.... It's in the living room...

4. OP
    OP
    Sanderguy777

I have 2 gouramis grazing on it and about 5 Cory cats, 2 Otto's(1 sick) and a farrowella. Will they be ok?

5. musserump09

Way to much light will never end your algae problems. 6-8 tank light. No sun light. As your tank ages minerals will dissolve and algae will go away if conditions are right.

6. OP
    OP
    Sanderguy777

Is the white stuff algae though? Will it hurt the fish?

7. musserump09

It's not harmful now but can over run your tank with all the light you have present. They feed of nitrates so when algae is blooming then large water changes for a few weeks stuns the growth. Buy a timer set it for 8 hours. Large water changes weekly like 50%. I would add more ottos since they like to school. They will help eat some algae but snails help too.

8. musserump09

How big is this tank? Pics would really help

9. a

angelfishguppie Valued Member Member

The white stuff on the wood will go away. Not harmful to your fish. Not sure what you are seeing other places in the tank.

There are various forms of algae and even cryobacteria I have battled in my tanks over the last 3 decades...but none of them white.

The solution to most of these issues is correcting an imbalance...not throwing chemicals or additives in the tank. Less light, less food, more water changes.

Correcting for natural light is tough if you can't move the tank. I have pothos plants growing in the top of my tank, draped over the side by the window to cut down some light (and pull nitrates out of the tank water).

10. OP
    OP
    Sanderguy777

It is a 60 gallon.
    I just got a pothos cutting to put in the tank a couple days ago.
    I also just did a 25% water change yesterday. I'll do another on Monday.