How to rid my plants of algae?????????

1. guppyguy76 Member Member

I have a 5 gallon tank with an in tank Tetra filter which seems to stinks cause the filter cartridge clogs fast. Also I have a 10W cfl bulb. I have a large amount of Java Moss and 2 Moss Balls. They are not affected. My Crypt and Amazon Sword have algae on them. I do not have a substrate or test kit. I have other issues which I will post in other areas.:confused:

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

Erm, you really should get at test kit, and a substrate is kinda important for plants, just so they have something for the roots to hold onto. You don't even have a layer of gravel or sand?

Send a picture of this "algae". That'll give us a feel for just what kind it is. How long do you leave your lights on each day, and how heavily stocked are you? Too much of either will promote algae. The big, obvious indicator is nitrates, but you don't have a test kit (get one) so you can't really check that.

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

By not having substrate, do you mean it is bare bottom? Substrate could be anything, including inert gravel and sand. It doesn't have to be the fancy pants stuff some of us use. :)

As for that Amazon sword, given the right conditions, it could overtake a 5 gallon tank with relative ease. It might even fill it, wall to wall, before it's half grown.

What doe the algae look like? Pictures are great, but there are lots of different kinds of algae out there so a description would be much appreciated! :)

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Wait...is the sword floating around the tank? I think I misunderstood what is being asked here.

5. GgAcE Member Member

Was just going to ask the same thing... If I recall correctly, swords are root fed (I.E. they pull nutrients from a substrate). That java & moss can grow anywhere so really that's not a worry.

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

You are correct, sir. Swords are root feeders.

7. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking the poster is saying substrate and is thinking something like "eco complete" or "floramax" , even though inert gravel and sand is also substrate. Although I could be wrong and am awaiting a response. :)

8. guppyguy76 Member Member

Sorry been busy with work. I have light green to dark green, and brown algae.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. guppyguy76 Member Member

Any ideas how to rid my plants of the algae????????

10. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Your plants require a substrate. Your amazon crypts and sword feeds through roots and will eventually rot away if left floating. That should be your primary concern.

The brown stuff appear to be diatoms. It is common in a new tank and eventually goes away on its own. In the mean time, you would need to scrape it off the glass (I use a paper towel) and off your plants. Try not to just disturb the diatoms and send them floating, but trap them in the paper towel. Your filter will also need a good cleaning as they continue to collect and may effect flow. Just be sure not to rinse off the biomedia in tap water. You can shake it out in a bucket and that will work just as well without destroying the baceria colonies.