How To Revamp A 10 Gal Betta Tank

1. Brizburk Well Known Member Member

I have a boring, full of algae beta tank. I want to revamp it. I almost want to separate the tank and add another betta.

How should I do this?

The tank has a lot of substrate - ecocomplete and gravel. All sorts of live plants and a rock cave. Hob filter. Glass top with marineland Advanced LED light.

What / how shall I do this?
  2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

First thing I would do is figure out what's causing the algae and fix that. What kind of light do you have and how long is it on? Do you fertilize? Is there only the one betta living in it or are there other critters?

3. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

I'd take all the plants and fish out and leave them in a bucket, then clean the tank as you want, water change a few times, remove/add substrate as wanted, then replant and put your fish back in.
  4. Brizburk Well Known Member Member

Just the one betta - she kills everything else, snails, shrimp... I'm sure the algae is from the lights and over abundance of yummy algae food - lights on a built in timer.

I do have a 5 gal I can transfer her to during the change as nitrites will be released when I disturb the substrate

5. jl_1005 Member Member

Perhaps pick a theme for the re-vamped tank, that's always fun :)
  6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you change the timer settings?
  7. Brizburk Well Known Member Member

That's what I'm looking for - what to do with it. And the best way to partition and where to place filter for optimum.

Not really asking how to get rid of algae and all that rather best way to partition, theme ideas and such.

8. WhatsUpGuys Member Member

You could build your own divider like I did, or you can but one online (the ones from pet stores are pretty flimsy). You'll need to make sure the divider is secure with no gaps to escape through, and that its dense enough so the betta can't see through it. In my opinion black dividers look the best and are the most effective. If you're looking to buy one, lifewithpets on YouTube sells amazing ones for a good price.

It doesn't really matter where you put the filter, it'll still work the same. However, the side without a filter won't have very good flow, so you might want to add a bubbler or sponge filter.
  9. jl_1005 Member Member

I made my own divider too. Check out this thread for method. My tank has different themes on each side, white vs. black, also to highlight the different colours of my bettas :)

I have an internal filter, its current normally is too strong. I position the outflow to point right at the divider, so as to both reduce the water flow and create some circulation on both sides.

Also, the side with the filter, heater and small-tailed betta would require more space, than large tailed bettas.