How to reset my tank after Betta died?

MessyBunFishMom

My poor Betta just died (feel free to stalk my posts to see that journey).

I have a 3.5 gallon tank. The tank is cycled, all readings are 0 or within normal range. What do I do now?

Do I empty the whole tank, wash everything and start all over again with a new nitrogen cycle? Can I just put a new Betta in to this tank without having to redo the cycle?

The issue is I am still not sure what killed him. The water was testing normal, the temp was good, he wasn't overfed. He just suddenly declined out of nowhere and that was it. So I don't know how to evaluate this on whether I should just start fresh or whether I can still use this cycled tank.

Passionfish

MessyBunFishMom said:
My poor Betta just died (feel free to stalk my posts to see that journey).

I have a 3.5 gallon tank. The tank is cycled, all readings are 0 or within normal range. What do I do now?

Do I empty the whole tank, wash everything and start all over again with a new nitrogen cycle? Can I just put a new Betta in to this tank without having to redo the cycle?

The issue is I am still not sure what killed him. The water was testing normal, the temp was good, he wasn't overfed. He just suddenly declined out of nowhere and that was it. So I don't know how to evaluate this on whether I should just start fresh or whether I can still use this cycled tank.
If I were you, I would get a bigger tank. 3.5 IMO is way to small for any type of fish. Sorry to be a party pooper.
Edit: Sorry about your betta fish. RIP.

AggressiveAquatics

3.5 is absolute minimum for a betta. But that’s the only fish you could fit in there. How long ago did he die? If it was more than a few days ago then the cycle is lost. Sorry about your betta

Random Great Thread

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore
Top Bottom