How to reset heater?

mirciulie

Folks,

this is my first time here on fishlore.

I've got myself a very nice tank/setup. I think, atleast

Got a 50gal with a Eheim canister filter, Eheim heater-250W, rocks, plants and some fish.

Problem is I did a water change (25%) a couple of days ago and when after reading here that I shouldn't use heated water from the tap due to contaminants from the house water heater, I decided to get it cold instead. And I grabbed the heator from the tank and put it in the bucket. Now, I didn't turn it off when did that, and the bucket water was like 40F. I think I've triggered something into it that it doesn't work anymore.

I looked everywere in here (and google...) about how to reset a heater but couldn't find much. From my understanding there's a thermal anomally memory on it for such situations, which will shut it off. And you need to reset that memory. I unplugged it, left it in the tank for half an hour and turn it back on. I set it to 78F and saw that the light is on. I'm at work right now and can't verify it, but I called the wife and she said the heater is still cold to the touch.

The water is around 68F right now, so I don't think that's too good for my tropical fish.

Can anyone help?

ANd yeah, I'm a newbie, just been lurking around here for a month. Very good site, learn about cycling the tank and all sorts of other good things.

Mike

Blub

Hi!

Is your tank cycled? You should take the Goldfish back to the LFS - they can't live in tropical temperatures.

There should be a little knob you can turn on the top of the heater. That's how to adjust the temp.

mirciulie

Yeah, I adjusted the temp from the top knob, the on light is lit, but the heater doesn't really work.

I read somewhere here that goldfish actually do good on that temp 76F. they can tolerate really cold water, but that doesn't mean they don't like it warm. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now to get back to the heater, I hope it works with unplugging it and let it sit for 1/2 hr. I'm away from home, and can't really check until this morning.

Blub

Hi!

Golds don't do good in warm. Also, they'll end up eating your tetras sooner or later. Just take them back - they're only really worth it in a species aquarium. They eat basically every small fish.

mirciulie

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware that they eat smaller fish. They're not big now, but they'll grow. Actually, they're the reason I've got into this fishy bussiness . My kids won 2 tiny goldfish at a game at church, brought them home and I've put them in a small bowl. Regular water from the tap, not treated with anything, no heater.... 100% water changes and so on. and yeah, I've got the temp as low as 45F when I was gone for a week. Those fish are tough. So, I came here looking for advice on what to get for them and realized that this wasn't the right way to take care of fish .

Then I've looked on craigslit and was thinking on a 10gal, maybe a 20gal. But then a found this smoking deal: 50 gal with everything(eheim filter and heater, bubler, gravel, fish...). Paid only 50 bucks on it

So I don't really wanna get rid of those goldfish. If they start nipping on the other fish I'll take care of them. But so far the gouramis are acting up. The bigger red one is chasing the smaller one around, which in turn chases the blue gourami.

But my original QUESTION was about that HEATER . I know it's not cracked, nor leaking. Just needs a reset and I don't know how to properly do it.

Thanks,

Mike

Blub

Hi!

On this forum, even if it is not what the original question was about, we tend to alert people of a problem. If you don't want to get rid of the goldfish, get rid of the tropicals. Simple thing is - they don't go together. You could get 2 more goldies in there if you got rid of the tropicals, BTW.

But my original QUESTION was about that HEATER . I know it's not cracked, nor leaking. Just needs a reset and I don't know how to properly do it.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi!

I think you have a dodgey heater. Sometimes they stop working.

capekate

g'morning and welcome to fishlore.. ;D
I had a heater that was very deceptive when it broke. The light stayed on.. thought all was well in the tank til the fish started acting out of their normal behavior. Checked the temp and sure enough it was like 65*. So its possible that your heater is broke even with the light still showing up. Most likely taking it out of a hot tank and putting it into cold water did it. I'm not familier with the Eheim heater so cannot help you there.
Normally when taking out a heater, you need to turn it off and let it set where it is for 15-20 minutes before removing it from the tank, letting it cool down first. Other wise, most heaters will break if this is not done.
I'm not sure where you read that you cannot use warm water from the tap?
I use warm water from the tap as close to possible as the temp in the tank usually around 82*. I see no reason to use cold water and a heater before putting new water into the tank.

~ kate

Chief_waterchanger

What brand is the heater? Sometimes the heaters they put in "package" deals (tank, heater, filter, blah blah blah) are crappy. But it is a VERY bad and dangerous idea for ANY REASON to take an aquarium heater out of water while plugged in. It could explode. (Exploding heaters could injury a child... or an adult, but worse for a kid.)

Always unplug and let sit in the tank for 10-15 minutes before draining water or removing the heater from the water for any reason, please. (Safety of the kids and yourself are worth more than 15 minutes of time spent doing something else. )

I would trash the one that has stopped working and get a better brand. (There are some brands that even when plugged in the first time usually don't work and then there are some that last decades.) We use Visotherm Stealth or Ebu Jager. I think we've only had one visotherm go out on us. (We got a lot of tanks though, so one going out on us is not bad. )

Best of luck and I hope that was enough of an answer.

mirciulie

Thanks a lot for the replies.

It is a Eheim Jager heater, 250W, no cheapo that's why I'm not so ready to toss it away. I think Ebo use to make them, but they got bought by Eheim.

I didn't run it dry, I just moved it from the tank to the cold water in the bucket.

I will find in a few hours if it's still working or not. If not, I guess it was a spendy lesson for me to learn.

I was reading up somewhere in here that the house water heaters can be contaminated with bad stuff (can't remember exactly which ones right now) and that's why I was looking into getting cold water that never entered the Hot water tank.

Blub

Hi!

Your water conditioner should kill of any bad stuff in the hot water tap. Which fish are you keeping?

mirciulie

I think they were talking about copper in the hot water....

I have 3 gouramis, tetras, and a bristlenose Pleco. and 2 Kribenza.

here's the heater!

Found the exact heater on ebay:

it states there that it has a safety switch for low water levels.

Anybody, manual?

Does anybody out here own a heater like this one, and still have the manual? It doesn't metter which size one, they should be the same.

If you do, and can look into it I hope it says somewhere how to reset it. I know it's a pain in the behind to go look for the manual, but it would make it really easy on me. I was thinking on going to a store and just open a box and look for the manual, but unfortunately it's Sat night, I'm at work and I get home at 8AM on Sun. Nothing openes until 10 and I'm not planning to stay up until noon for that. I'm going on 24 hrs of no sleep already

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated. My fishes will tank you too

Blub

I think they were talking about copper in the hot water....

I have 3 gouramis, tetras, and a bristlenose Pleco. and 2 Kribenza.
Hi!

I meant are you keeping the tropcials or goldies? Which kind is going to the LFS?

COBettaCouple

I could be wrong, but I believe the sensor for low water levels is automatic.
And turning the temp dial down 3-4 degrees then up to the desired temp should, in effect, reset it if the heater is working.

mirciulie

I could be wrong, but I believe the sensor for low water levels is automatic.
And turning the temp dial down 3-4 degrees then up to the desired temp should, in effect, reset it if the heater is working.

Sweet, it does have a water level sensor. Well, I'll find out in a few hours if it's working or not. I reset it before I went to work (power off for 1/2 hr).

Blub

Hi!

Can you please answer my question?

mirciulie

Hi!

Can you please answer my question?

I read right here on fishlore, under FISH Species that they like it up to 80F

Size : Usually 3 to 5 inches (8 - 13 cm), but can get bigger

pH : 6 - 7.5

Temperature : 40°F - 80°F (5°C - 27°C)

I keep the tank at 76, so that should be good, shouldn't it? they're not aggresive, at least not for now.

Let me know what do you think.

Thanks,

-Mike

Blub

Hi!

That's not what I've heard - and to my knowledge not what the majority of this forum agrees with.

mirciulie

cool. I'll have to look up some more on it.

I was under impression that they tolarate wide temp ranges. Somebody here actually was ussing 76F for his goldfish tank.....

Blub

Hi!

You'll find a thread of 'Freshwater begginer's' called "Can I add more fishes to my 55gla tank?", where you'll see basically everybody on the forum said that Goldies shouldn't be kept at tropical temps. Optimal for them is 18-20C. (Sorry, I don't do Farenheit!)

capekate

Hi!

You'll find a thread of 'Freshwater begginer's' called "Can I add more fishes to my 55gla tank?", where you'll see basically everybody on the forum said that Goldies shouldn't be kept at tropical temps. Optimal for them is 18-20C. (Sorry, I don't do Farenheit!)
HI Hatchet,
I have found that there are a lot of folks here from europe and from the states where we use either fahrenheit or celsius. The internet has some great conversion tables. I have a few saved so that I can convert the figures and add them to the post. It helps with any confusion. ;D

~ kate

Blub

Hi!

I only know the ones one my aquarium thermometer. I'll look for one of those sites. Thanks!

Lucy

Hi!

I only know the ones one my aquarium thermometer. I'll look for one of those sites. Thanks!

Here is a link to a conversion calculator:

mirciulie

So, I ended up a buying a cheap heater Cascade brand, works fine, the termostat is off by like 8 deg, but that's OK, cause I have a different thermometer and I go by that one.

The fish look a lot more active now, that the temp is right again- it was 67F for like 2 days.

Blub

Hi!

Thanks for the calculator Lucy!

Great to hear your fish are doing good. When do you plan on re housing your golds?

mirciulie

Hatchet,

I'll get those golds out of there when I can find somebody willing to take them.

For now they're doing a hundred times better than what they used to, in that 1/2 gallon fish bowl, with no heater/filter and 100% water changes every week!!! The water was getting cloudy after a few days so my wife was changing it cause she couldn't stand that. Poor fellas were never going past the ammonia phase of the cycle I guess and they were starting it again, and again and again, for like 4 months. That don't even cound the chloramine and other junk that I didn't remove from tap water...:confusedI guess that really proves it how though they are. So I guess a few deg out of their temp range is not gonna kill them until I find them a good house for them. Sorry if I sound too mean, but looking in perspective it's better for them.

Blub

Hi!

The LFS often takes fish in. Yeah - golds are hardy but just because they will survive it doesn't mean they'll thrive. A fishbowl is a great example of that.

mirciulie

Hey Hatchethaven, I forgot to mention, I gave away the 2 goldfish to my inlaws, a few weeks ago.

They live happily in a good size pond.

Shawnie

I have kept goldies in 76 -77 f ..they did well..and certainly did well at 74 -75...they don't mind a huge range but never over 77 ish...they are great fish and sadly mine were all taken when there was a short in my heater believe it or not...glad things are going well with your tank!

mirciulie

Thx Shawnie.

I gave away the golds because everybody here advised me too....

Plus, they were getting BIG fast and their metabolism is slow and were making the water dirty. And I had the pond available. All worked good.

I busted a heater when I first started this hobby (about a hlf year ago). I was reading about issues with heaters getting stuck on the ON position, which is not good for the fishies
There's a work around this thing, where you can have it shut down automatically when it gets above a set temp.

I think those goldfish are happier where they are right now.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • MonteCarlo
  • Heater
Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies
Views
MonteCarlo
  • SlickSolo
  • Heater