How to remove parasites and disease from tank

nanzey

I don't want to get into the details here - it's been a long and lengthy thread elsewhere.
Basically I am dismantling the tank of death for awhile.
I have some nice plants, driftwood and moss balls.
If the tank is infected with disease or parasites is there any way to truly rid these things from it or would it be safer to trash them.
They'll probably just live in a vase for a few months.

TexasDomer

I would think drying the driftwood out would be fine, and the moss and plants should be fine after sitting in a vase for a few months.

nanzey

Will anything living on them die off?

TexasDomer

That's the plan. By drying out the wood, you can desiccate the parasites/bacteria/viruses (hopefully - some eggs are resistant to desiccation, but since you don't really know what's causing the issues, I would think this is sufficient). By leaving the plants in the vase for months, you separate the agent from their hosts, which can also kill off many things.

nanzey

TexasDomer said:
That's the plan. By drying out the wood, you can desiccate the parasites/bacteria/viruses (hopefully - some eggs are resistant to desiccation, but since you don't really know what's causing the issues, I would think this is sufficient). By leaving the plants in the vase for months, you separate the agent from their hosts, which can also kill off many things.
Great. Thank you! One more question - I had dosed with Kanaplex and never replaced the carbon. Is there any reason to filter that out before putting them in their new temp home? I assume not since it will be fresh water but wasn't sure.
Also I'm thinking maybe I should toss the moss balls? They seem like they might be little sponges of I don't know what.

TexasDomer

I don't think you need to worry about it since the vase won't have fish.

I don't think you need to toss them, but you can if it makes you feel better.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom