How to remove long hair algae?

Tonypeppers11

My tank has slowly become over run with very long real hair like hair algae. It’s not growing in little furry clumps but instead in crazy long thin strands. All my levels are totally normal. It’s a planted 15 gal tank. I’ve cut my light time in half to only 4 hours a day on the lower setting. My big question is how do I remove it? It’s incredibly hard to grasp with fingers and so thin that it breaks when pulled just creating more. Anyone have tips for removal? Having a lot of trouble with this as it makes the tank so ugly and green. However the fish seem very happy. Attaching a photo. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 43B94074-2AB4-484F-B076-C9EE20DEC8A9.jpeg
    43B94074-2AB4-484F-B076-C9EE20DEC8A9.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 70

Deku-Cory

A no longer in use toothbrush works great. You roll it up like spaghettI then pull it off the toothbrush!

Owen1986

A no longer in use toothbrush works great. You roll it up like spaghettI then pull it off the toothbrush!
Huh agree with you!

Snailerator

My tank has slowly become over run with very long real hair like hair algae. It’s not growing in little furry clumps but instead in crazy long thin strands. All my levels are totally normal. It’s a planted 15 gal tank. I’ve cut my light time in half to only 4 hours a day on the lower setting. My big question is how do I remove it? It’s incredibly hard to grasp with fingers and so thin that it breaks when pulled just creating more. Anyone have tips for removal? Having a lot of trouble with this as it makes the tank so ugly and green. However the fish seem very happy. Attaching a photo. Thanks for any help!
Amano shrimp are good so eating hair algae.

kallililly1973

A toothbrush or a pipe cleaner with the plastic bristles will remove it swirl it around it

Similar Aquarium Threads

• 75g Discus Tank
  • Algae
Replies
Views
tjander
  • Question
  • jaydivingboard
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Chanyi