How To Rehome Pictus Catfish

Vortexed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry for posting another thread! I just couldnt hold off this question as its really important

I got a pictus catfish that's semI aggressive and I don't have the room for 5 more pictus catfish, but I have no clue how to rehome them! I live in a smaller town in New Jersey, and I don't know anyone with a tank big enough to fit this lil guy!

Why this question is so important is because I wanna get more schooling fish and such, and I can't do that if my pictus will chase fish around trying to eat em.

(Not so)fun fact: I had a nightmare where I transfered my pictus and it turned into a giant monster sea creature with sharp fangs. Spookeh!

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check with where you bought him. They may take him back.

OP
Vortexed

Vortexed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jdhef said:
Check with where you bought him. They may take him back.
I have tried messaging my local petco and they said I can't take him back if I had him more then 14 days, which I have.

Mom2some

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There is a LFS near me that will accept any fish (Even ones you didn't buy from them) in exchange for store credit I think... so maybe call around to some LFS.

OP
Vortexed

Vortexed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mom2some said:
There is a LFS near me that will accept any fish (Even ones you didn't buy from them) in exchange for store credit I think... so maybe call around to some LFS.
Do you think petsmart would do that? I'm in a tough situation where my parents controll my transportation and probably aren't in the mood to be driving around for 30 minutes.

Mom2some said:
I'm afraid to put my pictus in a ziplock and take em to a store, only to have them decline the fish.

Therefore, any suggestions are appreciated. If you think it would be fine if I ziplocked the bag and tried to return him (had him for a month) then please let me know.

Mom2some

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would call the store ahead of time to find out before you bothered to transport the fish anywhere. I think that is a valid concern, but one easily manageable. Or go to the store and talk to them in person before bringing the fish.
If they agree to accept the fish, 1/3 bag of water and 2/3 air is usually a good ratio when you are transporting fish.

OP
Vortexed

Vortexed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mom2some said:
I would call the store ahead of time to find out before you bothered to transport the fish anywhere. I think that is a valid concern, but one easily manageable. Or go to the store and talk to them in person before bringing the fish.
If they agree to accept the fish, 1/3 bag of water and 2/3 air is usually a good ratio when you are transporting fish.
Alright ill attempt to convince my parents to do so..

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know where in NJ you live, but if it is anywhere near Clementon/Blackwood, you could try calling The Aquarium Center: . They may take you fish.

OP
Vortexed

Vortexed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jdhef said:
I don't know where in NJ you live, but if it is anywhere near Clementon/Blackwood, you could try calling The Aquarium Center: . They may take you fish.
I live in Phillipsburg.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm...I don't know where that is, but I'm gonna guess it's in North Jersey.

OP
Vortexed

Vortexed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hellooo!

The pictus in a 20 gallon tank and its 55 gallons. I don't want it eating the other fish either, so if anyone has any suggesti0ns, let me know.

My location is Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US.

OP
Vortexed

Vortexed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok I may have made a mistake. I'm hearing a lot of "Pictus will eat neon tetras" What do I do..?

I got 5 neon tetras.. and I don't want them to get eaten. So I have 2 options...

A (The prefered option): Put the pictus in my spare 5 gallon tank. I know this is mean to the fish.. but he isn't staying there. He will just be there until I'm able to find him a home.

B: Let my neon tetras get eaten... which I really don't want to do.

jdhef said:
Hmmm...I don't know where that is, but I'm gonna guess it's in North Jersey.
Do you have any suggestions on what to do from what I said above?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How many neon tetra's do you have? Would it be more appropriate to put them into the 5 gallon tank until you rehome the pictus catfish? If not, I guess the pictus has to go into the 5 gallon inless you want to buy a plastic tote or something.

OP
Vortexed

Vortexed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jdhef said:
How many neon tetra's do you have? Would it be more appropriate to put them into the 5 gallon tank until you rehome the pictus catfish? If not, I guess the pictus has to go into the 5 gallon inless you want to buy a plastic tote or something.
Hello!

Thanks for your suggestion. I had 5 neons.. 2 died from getting stuck in the filter and 1 got eaten. I was able to return the pictus to the store today, but I'm still only down to 2 tetras...

New Threads