How To Rehome Pictus Catfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Vortexed, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Vortexed

Vortexed Valued Member Member

Sorry for posting another thread! I just couldnt hold off this question as its really important

I got a pictus catfish thats semi aggressive and I dont have the room for 5 more pictus catfish, but I have no clue how to rehome them! I live in a smaller town in New Jersey, and I don't know anyone with a tank big enough to fit this lil guy!

Why this question is so important is because I wanna get more schooling fish and such, and I can't do that if my pictus will chase fish around trying to eat em.

(Not so)fun fact: I had a nightmare where I transfered my pictus and it turned into a giant monster sea creature with sharp fangs. Spookeh!

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Check with where you bought him. They may take him back.

3. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

I have tried messaging my local petco and they said I cant take him back if I had him more then 14 days, which I have.

4. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

There is a LFS near me that will accept any fish (Even ones you didn't buy from them) in exchange for store credit I think... so maybe call around to some LFS.

5. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Do you think petsmart would do that? Im in a tough situation where my parents controll my transportation and probably arent in the mood to be driving around for 30 minutes.

Im afraid to put my pictus in a ziplock and take em to a store, only to have them decline the fish.

Therefore, any suggestions are appreciated. If you think it would be fine if I ziplocked the bag and tried to return him (had him for a month) then please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  6. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I would call the store ahead of time to find out before you bothered to transport the fish anywhere. I think that is a valid concern, but one easily manageable. Or go to the store and talk to them in person before bringing the fish.
    If they agree to accept the fish, 1/3 bag of water and 2/3 air is usually a good ratio when you are transporting fish.

7. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Alright ill attempt to convince my parents to do so..

8. jdhef

I don't know where in NJ you live, but if it is anywhere near Clementon/Blackwood, you could try calling The Aquarium Center:  . They may take you fish.

9. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

I live in Phillipsburg.

10. jdhef

Hmmm...I don't know where that is, but I'm gonna guess it's in North Jersey.

11. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Hellooo!

The pictus in a 20 gallon tank and its 55 gallons. I dont want it eating the other fish either, so if anyone has any suggesti0ns, let me know.

My location is Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  12. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

A quick google search says it's in north jersey

13. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Ok I may have made a mistake. Im hearing alot of "Pictus will eat neon tetras" What do I do..?

I got 5 neon tetras.. and I dont want them to get eaten. So I have 2 options...

A (The prefered option): Put the pictus in my spare 5 gallon tank. I know this is mean to the fish.. but he isnt staying there. He will just be there untill im able to find him a home.

B: Let my neon tetras get eaten... which I really dont want to do.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do from what I said above?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  14. jdhef

How many neon tetra's do you have? Would it be more appropriate to put them into the 5 gallon tank until you rehome the pictus catfish? If not, I guess the pictus has to go into the 5g inless you want to buy a plastic tote or something.

15. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Hello!

Thanks for your suggestion. I had 5 neons.. 2 died from getting stuck in the filter and 1 got eaten. I was able to return the pictus to the store today, but I'm still only down to 2 tetras...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice