How to reduce sponge filter flow

Fishowner24

I just got a sponge filter and set it up with a air stone in it and if seems like if has way to much flow. Thanks!

Attachments

• 5767A3B8-88E8-49B8-B19E-A66B736A08EC.jpeg
    5767A3B8-88E8-49B8-B19E-A66B736A08EC.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 20

WRWAquarium

Yeah that does look like a bit of a bubble eruption.

You can put a control valve on the airline to adjust flow from the pump.

It will increase back pressure and make the pump work harder. So long term wear and tear increases.

mattgirl

You can add a bleed off valve. You need a T adapter and 2 control valves. One control valve going to the filter and the other inline to bleed off some of the air. Just blocking the excess air will put strain in your air pump.

SparkyJones

how much air do you have going to it? the bubbles look real good, small, not the big ones.

you can put a air control valve just outside the tank top and dial the flow down,
or add a T and split the flow to two sponge filters or a different air device to tame it down some. I just dont' advise the cheaper plastic ones, they leak, the stainless steel ones are double the price but much better quality and you'll lose less lpm overall.

I don't recommend the control valve necessarily as it will cause a back pressure, but better to know what airpump you are using and if it's 1 or two port and "T"ed into one line or how you have it. Simplest answer is to T the single line and add a bubble wand or other air device (even a 2nd sponge filter one for each corner) to take half the lpm down without risking backpressure on the pump or check valves ext.

Fishowner24

how much air do you have going to it? the bubbles look real good, small, not the big ones.

you can put a air control valve just outside the tank top and dial the flow down,
or add a T and split the flow to two sponge filters or a different air device to tame it down some. I just dont' advise the cheaper plastic ones, they leak, the stainless steel ones are double the price but much better quality and you'll lose less lpm overall.

I don't recommend the control valve necessarily as it will cause a back pressure, but better to know what airpump you are using and if it's 1 or two port and "T"ed into one line or how you have it. Simplest answer is to T the single line and add a bubble wand or other air device (even a 2nd sponge filter one for each corner) to take half the lpm down without risking backpressure on the pump or check valves ext.
I have had a adjustment valve only on this pump for a while is that a big deal if it is still working fine. what is lpm? Thanks!
You can add a bleed off valve. You need a T adapter and 2 control valves. One control valve going to the filter and the other inline to bleed off some of the air. Just blocking the excess air will put strain in your air pump.
I have had only a control valve for a while will that matter to much? Thanks!
Yeah that does look like a bit of a bubble eruption.

You can put a control valve on the airline to adjust flow from the pump.

It will increase back pressure and make the pump work harder. So long term wear and tear increases.
I have had only a control valve on it for a while. if it is still working fine right now? Thanks!

StarGirl

Dang what size pump is that? :p Thats a lot of bubbles.

Fishowner24

Dang what size pump is that? :p Thats a lot of bubbles.
I don't know the size. But the fish aren't affected so I didn't really mess with it to much besides adding a leak off valve.

JustAFishServant

I don't know the size. But the fish aren't affected so I didn't really mess with it to much besides adding a leak off valve.
If the fish are okay with the bubbles I wouldn't change it at all. If the fish look stressed or are being blown around, do 1 of 4 things;

•Control valve - I've used them for years without fail, even cheapo ones
•T valve - I use these, I have 1 pump on 8 tanks!
•Get a smaller pump - most have lph, lpm or gph listed on the packaging or online
•Attach a piece of plastic, a betta leaf hammock etc with a suction cup so the bubbles distribute

Hope this helps! ;)

Fishowner24

If the fish are okay with the bubbles I wouldn't change it at all. If the fish look stressed or are being blown around, do 1 of 4 things;

•Control valve - I've used them for years without fail, even cheapo ones
•T valve - I use these, I have 1 pump on 8 tanks!
•Get a smaller pump - most have lph, lpm or gph listed on the packaging or online
•Attach a piece of plastic, a betta leaf hammock etc with a suction cup so the bubbles distribute

Hope this helps! ;)
Yes it helps. Thanks!

SparkyJones

. what is lpm?
Liters per minute. It's a way to Guage how much air the airpump produces.

You'd look at the pump, determine the maker and model, them look up how much air it's pushing in the specs by the LPM. (Liters per minute.

MrMuggles

my bubbles look exactly like that for several days after dosing prazipro, have you used any sort of product that affects surface tension ?

Fishowner24

my bubbles look exactly like that for several days after dosing prazipro, have you used any sort of product that affects surface tension ?
I am dosing prazi pro or I was at least.

MrMuggles

I am dosing prazi pro or I was at least.
I would not change anything in that case, the bubbles will normalize after the medicine is flushed out

Fishowner24

I would not change anything in that case, the bubbles will normalize after the medicine is flushed out
Ok thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mongo75
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Mathieu