Help How to reduce fish stress during BIG water change?

tapirtamer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20 gallon long on a new stand, and today I found a structural defect. After calling up the company, they recommended I fix it ASAP and gave me directions on how to do so. The only problem: I need to take the tank off to fix it.
I have 10 ember tetras and 3 nerites. Nerites have been in here for over a month, but I got the fish three days ago. I'm really worried that chasing them around with a net again, moving them to my half-gallon holding tank, and then putting them back in with a 100% water change will be way too much stress, especially so soon after moving them in. The company made it clear that the longer I wait to fix this, the greater the chance that the stand will collapse, so I definitely have to move the tank. No way can I lift it while it's full, though, even with help.
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make this go as smoothly as possible? I'm so scared they won't survive the stress...

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Turn the lights off. Remove 50% of the water and replace it. Wait a few hours and do it again.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
tapirtamer said:
I have a 20 gallon long on a new stand, and today I found a structural defect. After calling up the company, they recommended I fix it ASAP and gave me directions on how to do so. The only problem: I need to take the tank off to fix it.
I have 10 ember tetras and 3 nerites. Nerites have been in here for over a month, but I got the fish three days ago. I'm really worried that chasing them around with a net again, moving them to my half-gallon holding tank, and then putting them back in with a 100% water change will be way too much stress, especially so soon after moving them in. The company made it clear that the longer I wait to fix this, the greater the chance that the stand will collapse, so I definitely have to move the tank. No way can I lift it while it's full, though, even with help.
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make this go as smoothly as possible? I'm so scared they won't survive the stress...
Is there any way you can just remove 75% of the water and then move it with help? If possible that may be the least stressful for the fish.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The entire tank has to be drained and substrate removed. The tanks are not design to be moved with any weight on the bottom. I wouldn't worry about the fish stress - catch em put them in a 5 gallon pail (with water from the tank) add the heater and an airstone if you have one (if you have a live sponge filter in the tank use that); cover the bucket with a piece of cardboard or similar but leave a small slit int he side or every once in a while take it off to let air in (30 minutes? 45 minutes?) the cover will calm the fishes and keep them from jumping out but you do need fresh air to circulate - air stone also helps there.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
Is there any way you can just remove 75% of the water and then move it with help? If possible that may be the least stressful for the fish.
I misread something

New Threads