How To Reduce Dead Spots In Freshwater Planted Aquariums?

JustAFishServant

Hey all! I'm wondering what your preferred way of reducing dead spots in an aquarium is. Do you use multiple of the same filter? Do you use several different filters in the same tank? Do you use live plants to do the job? Or do you use active inhabitants to rely on moving the aquarium water for you? I'd love to get some options, opinions, suggestions, and tips for low-stocked, densley-planted nano (3-6 gals), small (8-15 gals), and medium-sized aquariums (20T-30)! Thanks!

Islandvic

When you mean dead spots, are you talking about areas on the substrate that accumulates detritus and uneaten fish food?

A combination of a HOB and a sponge filter should work on your small and medium sized tanks you mentioned.

1 small HOB or a sponge filter should be more than adequate for your nano tank.

Our 5.5g only has a Top Fin Silenstream 10 filter filled with foam sponge block and a little bag of bio-media for example and I don't think it has dead spots.

Out 10 gallon has a Silenstream 20 with the flow turned down to half + it has a sponge filter in the corner. No dead spots in it either.

Elkwatcher

I usually run 2 HOB's and a sponge filter as well and have no dead spots. The bigger tanks 40-50gal have one powerful HOB Aquaclear 70 or higher that is centrally placed so it pushes the current from the centre to the sides.. that seems to do the job ok. It depends on what type of fish you are keeping as some prefer calmer waters. There might be small powerheads and wavemakers that will help too.

Gregs76

I use a couple of the nano wavemakers by Hydor and they work perfectly.

AngryRainbow

Dead spots in freshwater aren't as bad as they are in saltwater, as long as its not most of your tank. Many fish will actually rely on the dead spots to rest.

Are you having any specific issues with the dead spots or you just want them gone because you think it'll cause issues?

JustAFishServant

Thank you so much for all of the replies!! So I've heard several different methods/opinions. "Dead Spots" usually mean no water flow, detritus, sometimes a white sort of "mold" and/or oil floating at the top.

Me, personally? I usually use a combination of internals and sponges. The 5.5 has a Tom MinI Internal (for up to 5 gals and gph of 10-45). The internal on the back left corner, and the sponge on the mid right corner. This seems to work, especially since each of the tanks only house 1 female/male Betta, a small number of Dwarf Neo Shrimp, a single Nerite Snail, and sometimes 2-4 Otocinclus (only on larger tanks of 15+ gals). Just wanted to see some opinions and suggestions

angelcraze

If I need more water circulation, I use small powerheads and/or internal filters. Like when I had to divide my 33g with a pair of angels, I had to move the internal filter to the other side from the HOB because the water didn't flow thru so well the perforated divider.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Drewbacca
Replies
Views
Kate1018
Replies
Views
yoboyjuice
Replies