How To Reduce Algae, Tank Near A Window

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Sanderguy777, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Sanderguy777

Sanderguy777Valued MemberMember

I have a tank near a window as it was the only place it could really fit. Not a huge algae problem, but is there anything I could do to help it not have any? (Keeping window closed or painting/covering that side of tank is not an option)
    The window is always open, but the sun never directly hits the tank, just bounces off the floor onto it.....
    Not a planted tank, but I have a few pothos plants to help with nitrates. 1524157535687.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  2. jaymethyValued MemberMember

Planting it would be the first option to help prevent algae, because plants compete with algae for nutrients.

Another option would be a nerite snail or two. Or a pleco (depending on your tank size).

3. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

Planting as suggested above to out compete the algae. You could also get one of those foldable room divider screen to use when you are getting the most sunlight, etc
    Maybe black contact paper on the outside to keep darker? Or maybe use a sunshield ( like the ones for your car ) thats foldable to use only when needed.

4. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I have that problem with my 55g. I have a sun screen that I add to the end of it. Only if the kids stopped playing with it...that's a different story.

I also adjusted my light schedule as a result. I would actually have it come on later, so I can just take advantage of the natural light that comes in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice