How to rectify a mistake re Pristella Tetras 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by Cyndi Warren, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Cyndi Warren

Cyndi WarrenValued MemberMember

I bought two Pristella Tetras today to add to my 10 gal tank with 8 neons and 2 guppies. also 3 snails. They didn't tell me that they are schooling fish and need to be with at least 6. I don't have room for more fish. I could re-home a couple of neons and get one more pristella? Or I could return them? They seem happy and not stressed. They often school with the neons. Am new and not sure what to do. I want my fish to be happy and healthy and am pretty attached to them. Thanks

2. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Id reccomend a bigger tank, like a 20g long. Ive got some tetras in a QT about that size and they're bouncing off the walls every time they try to school. If you went bigger, you could up the prestellas to 6-8. The swimming space is just small for lboth types in a 10g. If you want to keep them in the 10 you should rehome/return the 2 prestellas. You're pretty stocked as is with the existing tetras, guppies, and snails......and all schoolers are happeir with their own group to school with

3. cichlidmac

cichlidmacWell Known MemberMember

They should have told you :( I would up the school to 6 and plant the tank to help with nitrates. I wouldn't normally suggest this but I've had a ton of neons in a small tank before without any water problems. With such a small tank you could do 50% water changes often and easy if you had to.

This would be a temporary fix until you get another 10g or a bigger tank.

If you can't afford anymore fish or plants right now just take them back.

4. OP
    OP
    Cyndi Warren

Cyndi WarrenValued MemberMember

Ooo, well I'm completely maxed out on space and $$.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice