How to raise young

1. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

How did you raise the shrimplets? i can't figure that out. i can't get my shrimplets to survive. they are very hard to feed.

2. cheese Member Member

honestly I have no idea. the tank has like 4 fake plants and a hob filter. I don't have moss or any special hiding places, so maybe I'm just lucky. (I also had platies and guppies a while back who would not control their population on their own...my first batch of fry grew up and filled the tank lol.) I did put a sponge over my filter intake, I have them in a 10 gal, no heater. I feed omega one shrimp and lobster pellets, along with betta flakes, tropical fish flakes, goldfish flakes, and goldfish pellets. my initial 3 shrimp are 2 males and 1 female. the female is huge but the others aren't too big. the first batch of shrimplets is just over a centimeter in length and don't pose much of a threat to the shrimp babies. it could have something to do with the fact that there's only 3 adult shrimp, 2 being fairly small. hopefully this helps :) also the tank is kind of messy because once my first shrimplets were born, I realized I can't vacuum my gravel :( so I didn't get the babies to survive by pristine water that's for sure...I do my best with a fish net but there's always some gunk I can't get out of there.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

There is no way. They need algae or microorganisms to eat when they are born. Mine have never survived and I have Java moss, hornwort, sponge filter, and lots of plants!

4. cheese Member Member

well there's a piece of hornwort in there I guess...and fish lived in the tank before the shrimp so idk if that has anything to do with them surviving, but they do :)
    the tank was also established long before the shrimp were introduced

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I have just put in food that I feed the adults and they seemed fine with that.

Zucchini, Algae tablets, shrimp pellets are what i have been feeding my shrimplets.

So far this is my 3rd batch, the last set born on 6/5/16 - a few more berried shrimp due any day.

Also to note, I have java moss and a few moss balls.

6. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

One of my pregnant shrimp died:(. I am trying to take care of her eyes, but I have always failed. They get fluffy white -.-. I turn the lights off and give them air one an hour ugh

7. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

What do you mean, fluffy white? Do you think they are coming down with a fungus or something? Something is not right if all of your shrimp are dying off like that. Have you thought about tearing down the tank and disinfecting and starting over? Providing you have other places to move the remaining stock that are not sick or dying?

8. cheese Member Member

I agree somethings not right because I've had 3 sets of shrimplets from the same mama with no extra care other than the sponge over the filter intake. I just feed them once in a while and they seem to be thriving.
    what are your parameters? what size tank and how many shrimp? how often do you do water changes and how much water? is there anything else living in the tank with the shrimp? what is the temperature? have you medicated the tank for any reason recently? do you have any fake plants or ornaments in the tank?

9. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Water parameters: 0/0/5
    PH - 7.8 or so
    Tank size - 5 gallons - about 40 + shrimp, babies born on March, May and June this year.
    50% water change once a week. Right now there is 60 baby pleco's born late FEB.
    Temps - 74/75
    Java moss and moss balls are the only plants in the tank.

This tank was originally a QT tank. The adult pleco's ( which I have moved out of the tank ) had babies while in QT. Same with the 2 remaining RCS that I had in this QT tank. The baby plecos were born on 2/17/16 and will be given to the lfs in the next few weeks. Meanwhile, they all live in this QT tank for now.

ALL of the occupants get fed the same thing - zucchini, shrimp pellets, algae wafers.

10. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I am talking about the eggs. Not the shrimplets. They eggs get fluffy white if they don't get enough air or if something is in the water. [​IMG]
    Those are the eggs I am taking care of.

11. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Shrimp don't lay eggs, they carry them with them & release the shrimplets as they hatch.
    If you're finding eggs in the tank then something isn't right with the water conditions & the shrimp aren't happy.

12. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

No I had a dead pregnant shrimp and I removed the eggs. They will start to transform into shrimplets soon. I think. I am starting to think that something is killing them, but I don't see anything. I have only had one die today. I see the small white worms and Cyclopes(I think).

13. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oh ok, then maybe the eggs weren't far enough along after the shrimp died to hatch, they usually take around 4 weeks from being fertilised to hatching.

14. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea maybe:/ the shrimplets will eat the white worms eagerly which is weird. I can get rid of them, but i don't wanna suck any of the shrimplets up. I am not putting any food in but zucchini and one pinch of fish food everyday once a day. Zucchini stays in for a day.

Do you think they will turn into shrimplets or am I just wasting my time?

15. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I have heard of people succeeding in hatching dropped eggs so if you have the patience to try don't give up unless the eggs get fungussed.

16. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

How do I prevent the fungus without harming the babies? And I know they shouldn't be in light.

17. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The mother shrimp continually fans them so I'd think you'd need good but not too strong flow over them.

18. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know how to give them a flow with water. Air stone maybe? And will the airstone be right beside the eggs?

19. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

An airstone should do the job but don't have the flow so strong that it blows the eggs around, just a gentle flow should be enough

20. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

K will I am not home right now. I have them with me, but I can't get that stuff. Well maybe.