How to raise nerite babies

MissNoodle
Okay so nerite eggs don't hatch in fresh water. I know this.

But theoretically if I removed the eggs (on the rock or stick theyre on) and place them into a brackish water mix... would they hatch?

How would one go about doing so? And can different kinds of nerites breed together?

One of mine is laying eggs and it got me curious if I wanted to raise any to sell locally.

Salem
From what I've read nerites are actually pretty hard to breed. There are a lot of different species that can't breed together at all. There are male and female snails that you can't tell the difference between. You won't know if the eggs are fertilized or not either.

Assuming that you do know you have both a male and female of the same type and that the eggs are fertilized then in theory moving them into a brackish tank could allow them to survive. However unless you actually have your nerites in the brackish tank and continually breeding you likely won't have an awful lot of luck.

MissNoodle
Ah that's good to know. None of mine are the same variety and only one is laying eggs. Only other nerite in that ones tank is a small horned nerite.

Well it was a thought.

It's the green one laying the eggs.

20200120_065224.jpg

RelaxingBettas
MissNoodle said:
Ah that's good to know. None of mine are the same variety and only one is laying eggs. Only other nerite in that ones tank is a small horned nerite.

Well it was a thought.

It's the green one laying the eggs.

20200120_065224.jpg
I have more than one olive in my tank and I wish I could find more information on things like how to determine if the eggs were viable and fertilized, I know the larvae are pretty small, but I'm already raising infusoria and infant daphnea and microworms, oh my!- and have jars and marine salt- things like the percentage of salinity- start at one and transition?- does it need agitation, etc? would be awfully handy to know. I suspect no one is quite sure by this point, everyone wants to cuss at the eggs (do people not have glass scrapers, are they gorilla glued on?!), but there's nothing I can find from people who have actually *tried* it, I just keep reading the same rehash of things saying 'it cannot be done', and I am fond of a challenge- and nerites, lol (though if I could find more red racers, I'd dedicate them a whole tank to try- they are so pretty! I bet a little salt and current could do it! I may try )

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom