How to raise hardness safely?

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #21
OP
MiniPop

MiniPop

Active Member
Member
Messages
289
Reaction score
71
Location
USA
Experience
2 years
Thank you all for your helpful advice! I'll give the Salty Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ and RO a try. It sounds like the best option since it provides the essential minerals and trace elements.
 

Inner10

Well Known
Member
Messages
701
Reaction score
448
MiniPop said:
Thank you all for your helpful advice! I'll give the Salty Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+ and RO a try. It sounds like the best option since it provides the essential minerals and trace elements.
Good idea, just keep in mind GH/KH+ will bump up PH. You can't increase KH without PH. It's fine to use with RO water but if you're tap water that is high in pH proceed with caution.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #23
OP
MiniPop

MiniPop

Active Member
Member
Messages
289
Reaction score
71
Location
USA
Experience
2 years
Inner10 said:
Good idea, just keep in mind GH/KH+ will bump up PH. You can't increase KH without PH. It's fine to use with RO water but if you're tap water that is high in pH proceed with caution.
Ok I will keep this in mind. I was going to use it with RO. I will check pH regularly to make sure it's not causing a problem. Thank you.
 

tjander

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
523
Experience
More than 10 years
johnbetta and Inner10. You both have mentioned that adding something to the tank to raise the GH and KH of the tank. Inner10 mentioned it will raise the PH.
Both of These statements are accurate but My question to both of you is do you know how much of a raise in PH will occur when the water’s PH is already very high 8.4?

Maybe better stated, for Johnbetta if I add 1 cup of crushed coral to my water that is already 8.4 how much will it raise my PH? What kind of a percentage raise in KH and GH can I expect from a cup of crushed coral? How long will it take to raise the values?

And for Inner10 if I want to raise my GH and KH by lets say 25% how much will it raise my PH? Is it proportional?

Thanks in advance for an answer
 

Inner10

Well Known
Member
Messages
701
Reaction score
448
tjander said:
johnbetta and Inner10. You both have mentioned that adding something to the tank to raise the GH and KH of the tank. Inner10 mentioned it will raise the PH.
Both of These statements are accurate but My question to both of you is do you know how much of a raise in PH will occur when the water’s PH is already very high 8.4?

Maybe better stated, for Johnbetta if I add 1 cup of crushed coral to my water that is already 8.4 how much will it raise my PH? What kind of a percentage raise in KH and GH can I expect from a cup of crushed coral? How long will it take to raise the values?

And for Inner10 if I want to raise my GH and KH by lets say 25% how much will it raise my PH? Is it proportional?

Thanks in advance for an answer
At 8.4 it wouldn't really dissolve, or it would so slow you wouldn't notice. Anything above PH of 7 causes a slow increase...and by 8.2 it's pretty much stalled.

If you are using calcium carbonate your GH and KH increase will be equal.

pH can be defined as a function of KH and C02; therefor all things held equal they are directly correlated. It's expressed something like ph= constant * log( constant * kh/c02)...or something like that I can't remember.
 

tjander

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
523
Experience
More than 10 years
So in both cases, with a high PH adding anything to the water will not dissolve and therefore will not raise the PH. If the PH and KH are related then I would not expect to see a rise in GH or KH then either would I? Basically in order to raise GH and KH I need a lower PH, so the minerals will dissolve to raise the GH and KH numbers.
Do I have this basically right?
 

Inner10

Well Known
Member
Messages
701
Reaction score
448
tjander said:
So in both cases, with a high PH adding anything to the water will not dissolve and therefore will not raise the PH. If the PH and KH are related then I would not expect to see a rise in GH or KH then either would I? Basically in order to raise GH and KH I need a lower PH, so the minerals will dissolve to raise the GH and KH numbers.
Do I have this basically right?
No, that's only the case with calcium carbonate, a stronger base will still raise ph and alkalinity. Add some sodium hydroxide and your PH will skyrocket as it's incredibly soluble (don't actually do this). If you only want to raise PH and KH when your PH is low then you can use sodium bicarbonate which won't also won't affect GH.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here, maybe post your water parameters and your target parameters and I'll be happy to try and help the best way to get there.

If you're just looking for water chemistry knowledge I'm not an expert and there's probably someone who could better advise.
 

tjander

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
523
Experience
More than 10 years
Nope I am good. Thanks for the input.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #31
OP
MiniPop

MiniPop

Active Member
Member
Messages
289
Reaction score
71
Location
USA
Experience
2 years
I've purchased the Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ but I'm hoping for some advice. I'm mixing the SS with RO water and trying to get it as close to the tank's parameters as possible, and I'm having trouble. The TDS of the new water is already 30 ppm more than the tank, but the GH is still 3 degrees short of the tank's. How should I proceed? I'm assuming I should be trying to match the GH but is the TDS difference going to be an issue? Thanks in advance.
 

johnbetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,263
Reaction score
470
Location
australia
Experience
More than 10 years
u can raise your gh and kh in other words your water hardness with texas holley rock it will raise the ph up a little bit but that can be fixed with an indian almond leaf
 

tjander

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
523
Experience
More than 10 years
Remember you are only mixing in the RO water to your existing tank. Matching your water will not raise it. Mix your RO water a bit higher then you tank and add it very slowly. Repeat this over a few weeks until you tank water is where you want it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #34
OP
MiniPop

MiniPop

Active Member
Member
Messages
289
Reaction score
71
Location
USA
Experience
2 years
tjander said:
Remember you are only mixing in the RO water to your existing tank. Matching your water will not raise it. Mix your RO water a bit higher then you tank and add it very slowly. Repeat this over a few weeks until you tank water is where you want it.
Yes you are right, but I figured since the chemical/mineral makeup of the Salty Shrimp water is clearly very different from my tap water, I would keep the changes to a minimum by first matching the GH to the tank to avoid shocking the shrimp too much. I was planning to raise GH slowly after that.

But my issue right now is---when I match the GH, the TDS of the Salty Shrimp water is much higher than my tank. Is this a problem?
 

tjander

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
523
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t hold a lot in TDS this is my opinion. Get your PH GH and KH to where you want them and slow add the water to your tank if you do it slowly I mean over the period of hours you should be fine. How big is the tank and how much water are you replacing?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #36
OP
MiniPop

MiniPop

Active Member
Member
Messages
289
Reaction score
71
Location
USA
Experience
2 years
tjander said:
I don’t hold a lot in TDS this is my opinion. Get your PH GH and KH to where you want them and slow add the water to your tank if you do it slowly I mean over the period of hours you should be fine. How big is the tank and how much water are you replacing?
Oh okay. I can drip the new water in over several hours.
The tank is 10 gallons and I'm replacing 10%.
 

tjander

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
523
Experience
More than 10 years
So to add a gallon yes remove a gallon and add it slowly I would think an hour would be good. It is going to take a long time doing it a gallon at a time to see any change do be patient. I think you could do 1.5 to 2 gallons at a shot then wait a 4 days and do it again.

This assumes you temp and parameters are not drastically different. But the slower you go the better you will be so please don’t rush it and remember it’s going to take time before you see a change in your tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #38
OP
MiniPop

MiniPop

Active Member
Member
Messages
289
Reaction score
71
Location
USA
Experience
2 years
tjander said:
So to add a gallon yes remove a gallon and add it slowly I would think an hour would be good. It is going to take a long time doing it a gallon at a time to see any change do be patient. I think you could do 1.5 to 2 gallons at a shot then wait a 4 days and do it again.

This assumes you temp and parameters are not drastically different. But the slower you go the better you will be so please don’t rush it and remember it’s going to take time before you see a change in your tank.
Okay I will definitely take it slow. I think I'll just do it at every weekly wc. I'm not looking for an instant change. They seem to be doing okay right now, so I was planning to do a very gradual increase back to where the params used to be and then keeping it constant. I do match the temperature also. Thanks so much for your help. :)
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
111
Guests online
2,078
Total visitors
2,189

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom