How to raise big strong guppies

Whitewolf

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So i just wanted to share my experience with what alot of ppl do wrong and end up stunting their fish, or making weak fish that are easily to fall prey to the first wrong bacteria or parasite. I am not supporting dirty tanks, but in fact i raise my guppies in spotless bare bottom tanks. I have 12 years in the hobby, and my dad raised them when i was a kid. I didnt get my first tank until i got married and had a kid at 25 years old.
My goal is to share my information in a "im not 100% right" or a "im a know it all" way. I want to present my opinion and some photo evidence and let others comment from there. Its not a "im smarter than you all" post, just me wanting to express what i have learned lately.
Lets start, fist off misconception 1 that most people get wrong "You have to start with good quality guppies, pet store fish are always trash" I absolutely hate that misconception. Some people live in areas where they can get better guppies from petsmart and petco and their LFS than they can spending a ridicolous $60 a trio online for some weak inbred (but big delta tail) small fancy guppies. I have Pure snow whites (YES MY LFS CARRIES FEMALES) i have huge Red Snakeskin that males get to be 1 1/4 inch long i have had in the past beautiful blonde and grey bodied Yellow micairff i have gotten beautiful Halfblack Red, and blue guppies, and the ever popular yet not stunning Tequilla sunrise. Folks let me tell you, the pet store fish are not a bad option. What you have to do is go get matching pairs or trios on the day the shipment arrives, and then give them an antibiotic flake and some good water quality, crank up the heat, and your guppies will not only live, but thrive and throw 75% pure drops the first drop. My Petsmart/petco gets virgin females and keeps them seperate. In fact ive had much much more sucess from petstore guppies (that i selective bred and now sell online) than i have ever had from a online breeder such as aquabid. They come weak, pale, and fall apart.
On to the topic of falling apart. Dont baby your guppies with food. I feed a flake mixture (thats been cooked and stearilized) that has added probiotics. I feed hikari frozen daphnia daily, and Baby brine shrimp twice a week. Once a week they get a huge water change and nasty foul tubifex worms. You cannont raise a healthy guppy or fish at all unless it is exposed to some diffrent types of bacteria. My guppies i ship to people always live, why? Because they have already been exposed to, and survived, most of the bad bacteria that is found in their frozen food. I use fake plants, keep bare bottom tanks, siphon from the bottom up with a tube, and maintain high water quality of 0/0/>20 at all times. Water QUALITY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN RAISING GUPPIES. But behind that is diet. They have to eat moist food to clear their gut. If you only feed flakes they get constipated, bloat, float straight up, and die. Feed them one flake food with fish meal and one feeding of frozen or live insect/worms a day. If you can another flake feeding now and then can help.
I dont baby my guppies, but i do overcrowd them. However when you take out that water twice a week, your lowering nitrates and removing hormones which will stunt the growth of the younger fish. When your feeding high protein food like Live baby brine shrimp or frozen daphnia/tubifex/bloodworms you are exposing them to bacteria that makes them strong. The asian breeders have sucess in outdoor ponds that have green water and their fish eat mostly natural insects, and they are not babied. Gravel is your enemy. A tank with gravel may contain lots of "benifical bacteria" but this abundance of BB only does one thing, pumps out nitrates, which signal to the fish "we are overcrowded, lets stunt the growth so we can all fit in this pond"
Dont raise weak guppies, and do your dillegence of water changes and feeding live or frozen foods. Genetics play a factor in your size of guppy, but husbandry is 75% of the game.

Attachments

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also have original snow white females overhere... :)
There are more ways of maintaining quality guppies, generations after generations. As long as if the way you're maintaining works, it's good. Appreciate it that you're sharing yours...
IMG_8643.JPG These are blonde based as well with the white-bluish caudal. Just the sunlight absorbed a bit of the blonde base in this picture when I took a picture on the balcony.
In case you're out of such females and can't get your hands on some new ones, there's another way to keep the line running. Use blonde based virgins of a blonde strain. These females should have clear fins and preferably coming from a roundtail strain. These females should also be recessive for the traits of their own strain. In the F1 you'll already be able to see blonde based males develop into white specimens. From that point on, it's matter of linebreeding where culling is in need (doesn't have to kill them but eliminate them from the group like putting them seperate or sell them). It works...

OP
Whitewolf

Whitewolf

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes stan i know you do. Glad at least soneone liked my thread!

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For me I searched everywhere in stores for some healthy guppies. I could find a male or two on occasion but never any females. If I found females they weren't very healthy looking. So for me I bought a pair on eBay (paid more than I should, I'll admit that) but I did that maybe 6 months ago and I now have a batch of probably 30-40 fry from them. I still watch my LFS and pet stores for good guppies but its just not common around here for some reason.

I import and get fish shipped to me all the time for other types so honestly for me I gave up waiting pretty quick and just ordered some :p I'm not the most patient of people tho! :p

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
e_watson09 said:
For me I searched everywhere in stores for some healthy guppies. I could find a male or two on occasion but never any females. If I found females they weren't very healthy looking. So for me I bought a pair on eBay (paid more than I should, I'll admit that) but I did that maybe 6 months ago and I now have a batch of probably 30-40 fry from them. I still watch my LFS and pet stores for good guppies but its just not common around here for some reason.

I import and get fish shipped to me all the time for other types so honestly for me I gave up waiting pretty quick and just ordered some :p I'm not the most patient of people tho! :p
It does seem to matter where you live in order to get your hands on the right stuff...

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i breed endler guppies they are less prone to sickness i only pic the strong and healthy fish then i breed them i use an indian ammond leaf in my tanks to keep the fish healthy

New Threads