Question How To Quickly Raise Ph/kh While Fishless Cycling?

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm fishless cycling and want to raise the KH and possibly pH in the tank. There's a long story as to why this won't matter when I'm done cycling or why the water in the tank has such low levels, but, as far as I am aware the nitrifying bacteria won't mind a sudden parameter change. What can I do to quickly raise it, preferably with something I could get at most supermarkets. I likely won't be able to get things from online or specialty stores for a bit.

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would increase the KH and the pH should follow. I use nt labs KH up but I suppose you could use sodium bicarbonate from the baking isle. I don't know how much sodium bicarbonate you should add so best to add a little at a time and retest. I would get a proper aquarium product before adding fish but SB should be fine for cycling.

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
"sodium bicarbonate" You mean baking soda, yes? or might there be something else in baking sode I wouldn't want in my tank?

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, there is also baking powder which also contains cream of tartar. Check the label.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Baking soda won't harm the tank but start slowly and dissolve prior to adding it. E sure your parameters have returned to normal prior to stocking your tank.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes you can always do what professional fish keepers do to raise and stabilize ph. Simply add 1 teaspoon of baking soda per 5 gallons of water in your tank. I suggest per 10 gallons. Works just fine as I have done it along with thousands of others.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom