How to QT neurotic fish?

BadhbhCatha
We have two tetras in QT right now. One is a blushing and the other a green glofish. They are both SUPER neurotic. We just finished a 6 week QT on a pink and a purple glofish tetra and after 24 hours lights out they were pretty chill and would even meet you at the front of the glass at feeding times. These two new ones are insane. They can see me from across the room and immediately cower in the furthest corners of the tank, and if I get too close to the tank (like to feed them) they start bashing them selves against the glass wildly! They have been lights out for 72 hours except for feeding times, which has been painful to watch. They eat, but not until they have rammed their head into the glass a dozen times after I drop the food in. To be clear, this is not glass surfing. Its a head on collision. I have never seen fish react this way for this long in QT. The QT is pretty sparsely decorated; just a few wisteria cuttings, a crypto, and a java fern. We are headed to the store to grab a few caves for them tomorrow. I'm a little concerned about how these specific fish are going to integrate in our main tank. We have have a male and female Alpha and a third that holds his own in there. I'm a little worried these guys won't make it in the main tank after QT. Any pointers on making them less crazy in QT and integrating them successfully into our school?

Betta'sAnonymous
Never seen or heard of fish acting like that.

StarGirl
Are there any pets or children tormenting them at all? That is super strange. Its good you are getting more cover to see if they chill out some.

BadhbhCatha
StarGirl said:
Are there any pets or children tormenting them at all? That is super strange. Its good you are getting more cover to see if they chill out some.
We have kids and a cat but our QT tank is in our office where no kids or pets are allowed. I'm literally the only person who comes into the room. Also, if I try to leave the light on for a little longer after feeding they start nipping. The green had a perfect tail when we put him in with the blushing but now he has a big bite out of it.

StarGirl
Hmm that is weird. I have never seen fish do that before.

Pfrozen
My otos do that and I have no idea why. It's been months for me though. Every time I even think about entering the room they bash themselves against everything in the tank and freak out like I shoved a handmixer in there. I would be interested to find out why as well

Sofiafish17
I can’t contribute much, but I will say one thing. Try to test your water, but like everything. I know some LFS will do all the liquid tests for you if you don’t have them. Try to test everything you can test for. I can’t think of any off parameters that might cause that, but it’s just more info to try and narrow the causes down if nothing shows.

GlennO
Try some more plants. Large clumps that they can shelter in, like Wisteria or Water Sprite. Some floating ones might help too. I'm sure they'll settle more when they go in the main tank with the others.

BadhbhCatha
Sofiafish17 said:
I can’t contribute much, but I will say one thing. Try to test your water, but like everything. I know some LFS will do all the liquid tests for you if you don’t have them. Try to test everything you can test for. I can’t think of any off parameters that might cause that, but it’s just more info to try and narrow the causes down if nothing shows.
We test regularly; everyday for the first week and then 3 times a week for the next 2 weeks; then down to once a week for the last 3-5 weeks (depending on how long QT lasts). We test the basic 4 (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH) plus KH, GH, and Phosphate. We just got a new calcium test for the snail tank but its for salt water so I'm not sure how it will work on our freshwater tanks.

The QT tank is currently 0/0/5/7.6 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH). Our tanks are generally pH 8.0-8.2 so the pH reading is a bit weird, but we had a bunch of mystery and ramshorn snails in it with the last QT fish and the KH and GH are both reading lower than normal as well so it kind of makes sense. We moved all the Mystery snails and most of the ramshorns to a new tank before these fish arrived and they have 4 assassins QTing with them.
BadhbhCatha said:
We test regularly; everyday for the first week and then 3 times a week for the next 2 weeks; then down to once a week for the last 3-5 weeks (depending on how long QT lasts). We test the basic 4 (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH) plus KH, GH, and Phosphate. We just got a new calcium test for the snail tank but its for salt water so I'm not sure how it will work on our freshwater tanks.

The QT tank is currently 0/0/5/7.6 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH). Our tanks are generally pH 8.0-8.2 so the pH reading is a bit weird, but we had a bunch of mystery and ramshorn snails in it with the last QT fish and the KH and GH are both reading lower than normal as well so it kind of makes sense. We moved all the Mystery snails and most of the ramshorns to a new tank before these fish arrived and they have 4 assassins QTing with them.
Oh! and I just found a dissolved oxygen test that will be here in a week! I think its something we will only use if necessary (like the copper test we have) but hopefully that can rule out the gasping in the new QT fish.
GlennO said:
Try some more plants. Large clumps that they can shelter in, like Wisteria or Water Sprite. Some floating ones might help too. I'm sure they'll settle more when they go in the main tank with the others.
Love this idea! I have a plan for a fully planted permanent QT, but we are trying to repopulate our 5yr old son's tank after a catastrophic Ich outbreak (imo, everyone should have Ich and bacterial infection meds on hand at all times!). He was left with a single fish who was visibly terrified to be in there alone. He was the Alpha of his old school, but when he was left as the lone survivor he became a recluse. Now he has 2 buddies and he's becoming his old self again. I'm thinking of adding some duck weed to the QT for immediate shelter. Once we have our school rebuilt, we can focus on making our QT a better introductory habitat.

BadhbhCatha
These two new fish in the QT have finally calmed down. They aren’t particularly friendly like our fish in the main tank, but at least they aren’t bashing themselves against the glass anymore. Green fish is pretty meh about everything. White fish is still pretty timid. I’m hoping some bigger personalities come out once we add them to the main tank and they are in more of a school.

Top Bottom