How to put water back in during PWC?

1. jamesonuk Member Member

OK this is going to be a stupid question but any advice as to how to put the water back in during a PWC.

Getting the water out is nice and simple with a siphon into a bucket.

But when it comes to filling back what should I be doing. I did try and balance the bucket on top of the tank and use the siphon but (a) this was pretty hard to balance the bucket and (b) it was pretty slow as little difference in height between the bucket and the tank.

Just pouring the bucket in uproots plants and stirs up all sorts of stuff. Using a small jug avoids this but again takes ages.

Any advice??

2. martini4 Member Member

I use a gallon jug, then I put one hand just under the surface of the water and pour the jug into my hand to disperse the water so it doesn't uproot anything.

3. Beretta Initiate Member

Putting a shallow bowl to pour the water onto helps to disperse it rather than having it pour onto the substrate. Also using a smaller bucket or pitcher when doing this helps too.

4. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

Even though it does take a while, I use a jug and just gently pour the water into the tank. My fish like to play in the bubbles whilst I pour the water in too :D

5. s hawk Well Known Member Member

I have a mesh cover and when I pour through that the flow is less powerful (makes sense as it's spread over larger area). Another idea is to maybe pour it over an airstone. Did this last time and seems to help soften the impact of the water.

6. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I have a bucket with a pour feature. I just aim it at a high decoration or the tank wall or just pour slowly. However.... have you looked into a python water changer?

7. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I add my chemicals when it's in the bucket, stir, and pour on top of my rock wall or my large driftwood.