How To Put Nitrates Back Into A Tank

1. Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

Wow I'm active today.
    So yeah I have no nitrates in my 50 gallon I dont know if this is a good thing or bad thing the only thing I do have in my tank now is ammonium. I know ammonia is turned into nitrites turned into nitrates but I did a lot of water changes to drop my ammonium thinking it was a huge problem but my nitrates were dropping before that happened. So obviously stop doing water changes but If there is no ammonia there is no nitrite in return no nitrate. I have four plants in there that could of sucked up the nitrates it's not a far stretch. But the question is how do I put nitrates back in if they dont go back in by them selves (because I can see that's what is going to happen) do I add fish? I have room for two more ryukins but I want to hold off on that for a bit. Do I add water from my cycled 15 gallon to my 50 gallon? If that's possible it would help. I cant move the filter media to the bigger tank because it's a small filter and the canister in the big tank is soooooooo much bigger it wouldn't work. I'm kinda desperate here

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

The water doesn’t have enough bacteria in it to help. Can you just put the smaller one in with the new one? Cram it in some way where it will stay?

3. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

The canister in the 15 gallon only has one filter and can only fit one filter and I'm really hesitant to take out the filter and put a new one in when it only JUST cycled over the weekend

4. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

If you dont have nitrates and your tank isnt heavily planted then your not cycked yet

5. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

I've got four plants and they are huge. Also I had nitrates before all of this happened they dropped then the nitrites dropped and the ammonia dropped today

6. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

I really don't think having no nitrates at this point is a problem. If you still have none after you allow the tank to process the ammonia your fish will be adding with their poop after a few days then there may be something to be concerned about. The nitrates will have a chance to come up if there are no water changes for a few days.

It is possible that all the water changes that were done lately were starving the bacteria but there is still some active because the small amount of ammonia you had earlier went away. It only did that because there was some bacteria alive in there to eat it.

Like I said in your other thread. You really need to let the ammonia come up some or the bacteria will have nothing to eat and it will starve to death. At this point I wouldn't be doing anything other than keeping an eye on the numbers. Maybe just test daily and only do a water change if the ammonia gets up to or over 1. Less than that just add a full dose of prime to neutralize it.

It is actually possible that you won't see any ammonia. That is a good thing because it means that your tank is cycled. The fish are constantly adding ammonia so if you don't register any it means that your tank is in fact cycled and you can just relax and enjoy it.

7. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

Ok, i've followed 1-3 other threads of yours. You might want to consider linking them to keep all the information in the same place so you get better advice. :)

There is NOTHING wrong with having no nitrates once you are cycled. I actually think your nitrates started dropping because of the plants you added, and the reason you have none now is because of how many water changes you've been doing every day.

if your tank is 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite, and you saw nitrites appear, and nitrates appear and then both disappeared the only ways that could happen are:

1. heaps of big water changes. you have been doing that.
    2. live plants. again, you have those.
    3. loss of cycle. if you have been sure not to rinse any of your filter media in untreated tap water and you haven't added any cleaning chemicals to your tank or anything that goes near your tank, then that's unlikely.

I'm going to suggest you sit back and enjoy your tank without stressing for at least a full week. if you see odd behaviour from your fish, test. I know the stage you're at in your head...i've been there. honestly, just sit back and enjoy your tank and your fish! you will adjust i promise. :)

EDIT: i'm coming down with something so i forgot to add emoji's so i don't sound cross or anything. i'm not... sorry if it came across that way :)

2nd EDIT: ha! @mattgirl typed faster than i did this time! jinx, mate! lolz

8. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

I havent added anything to the tank or put anything near the tank that would harm it in any way. I really do think it was the plants and the water changes. I guess I really do just have to sit back.....sorry its hard for me to do because I have major anxiety and you should see me if my cat even sneezes I'm running to the vet with them. My fish are kinda like a hobby passed down from my grandad to my dad to me. I want to make them proud. I want to show my self that I'm capable of doing something with out destroying it. Blame it on several failed situations in my life and mental disorders. My mom has been saying this just shows what kind of mom you're going to be when I have kids after I'm married next year. One thing out of place I'll be running to the doctors with them

9. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

i think it's hard to exist in today's world without having some form of anxiety. the only suggestion i have is that fish tanks are meant to be relaxing so try sitting there with your drink of choice and just watch it for like half an hour. especially after you've just fed your fish. :)

10. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

My favorite thing to do is what I'm doing right now because my tanks are right infront of our bed in perfect view to watch as I lay here and let my night time melatonin medication kick in. I find my self more distracted these days by watching my fish swim around than watching anything on my iPad or watch my fiance game on his ps4

Anyways

Happy thoughts, tomorrow I get an early birthday gift from my grandad, some more guppies!

11. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

You can add NilocG Thrive.

A plant fertilizer that contains nitrates.

I’ve only been using it for 2-3 weeks but it’s simpler than dosing macros and micros. I don’t Like that it has nitrates but in your case, it does.

The simplicity is it is one squirt from a pump on the bottle for every 10 gallons of the tank. 1-2 times per week, 3Xs per week if you have high light.

Supposed to bring nitrates to 7ppm.

And it may help your plants.

12. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

I'm going to my LFS very shortly and I will check if they have some, I'm hoping they do because I hate ordering from onlone because I hate paying shipping so much. I'll keep an eye out for it and I am hesitant to ask some people there that are at the front of the store because they usually have no idea what they are talking about, but the people who deal with all the fish at the back they know everything because they are constantly dealing with hundreds of fish tanks

Funny side note: I saw a pleco poop for the first time in my entire life this morning.

13. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

You have hornwort right? It's a nitrate sponge. I used to have 0 nitrates in my planted tank when I had hornwort. I actually ended up removing it because it took out so many nutrients and the more delicate plants were struggling to get their share (I don't have high waste producing fish). It's a great plant for your tank though, goldfish are heavy waste producers.

14. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

I actually got the hornwort specifically for the goldfish and that problem and also in Hope's to drop the ammonium and ammonia which it's doing. But I had no nitrates before I put it in..... but the tank is thriving I havent seen my pleco so active before usually he hides in the big rock that we have in the tank but now hes attached the glass all the time in sight that's how I saw him pooping today. Next I gotta see a guppy poop because they are ninjas about it.