How To Properly Clean Moldy Tank?

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by lori713, Jul 6, 2018.

1. lori713

lori713New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    So I got a 10g tank from a friend, and they hadn't used it in about two years. I was planning on cleaning it and setting it up to be a nice planted tank for a betta and my mystery snail, but it turns out it's a lot worse than it seemed at her house. None of the stuff like gravel or decorations or equipment is salvageable, but I want to properly clean and use the tank at least, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Do I need to use special cleaning supplies so nothing harmful can linger possibly for the betta, snail, or plants?

It might be easier to just buy a new one, but it's summer and I'm bored and think it could be a fun project. Fun may not be the right word to cleaning mold in the Texan heat, but I think it'd be really nice to work hard towards something this summer. I also have been seeing this tank in my friend's house for over ten years now, and think it'd be cool to have it and let it be used again.

Attached Files:

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,204
    Experience:
    3 years
    I dont think thats mold... Looks like a story:
    They no longer wanted a a fish tank and let it sit until all the water evaporated
    I think the tank could be used. Id scrub it down with warm water, Put some hot water in scrub it down. Rinse, put hot water in let it sit, scrub and rinse. Or you could try a bleach rinse.

3. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,708
    Experience:
    4 years
    Scrub it down with hot water, rinse and repeat. I'd also do a vinegar/bleach rinse as well.

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,204
    Experience:
    3 years
    Of course I forget the vinegar rinse! :banghead::rolleyes:

5. finnipper59

finnipper59Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +386
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Use vinager as a solvent and salt as a cleanser to scrub with. Once you've gotten it clear an clean, sterilize everything inside and out with a 25% bleach solution and rince well. No soap products ever.

6. OP
    OP
    lori713

lori713New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Thank y'all for answering! :) I'm going to work on it over the weekend and keep y'all updated

7. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,745
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    One other thing...you might want to consider getting a razor to help scrap some stuff off the windows easier. That might help peel it off a little faster.

8. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,542
    Scrub it with a vinegar solution to remove the water scale. Magic Eraser pads (chemical free) will eat through just about anything. Make sure to rinse with plenty of hot water.

9. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,096
    Experience:
    3 years
    I heard and remember that using lemon wedges cuts through hard water stains! Simply cut a lemon in half, and rub it all over the tank. If that doesn’t work, then try ammonia, and scrub that all over until the residue is gone.

Once you try those two, and if they don’t work, then buy a new tank.

10. Fishycatsrcories

FishycatsrcoriesNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Rinse more than you think you need to. Also for the filter, if you are careful you can soak it upside down is a bucket with a little water. Toothbrushes are useful and inexpensive cleaning tools- try children's size for small places.