How to prevent fish's stress from while doing weekly water change?

Neyndusk

Reaction score
all my fish get stressed when I perform water changes
especially cardinal tetras as their red tab fade for some period of time

1. how to avoid making fish stress while performing water changes?
2. how to prevent stress of fish while performing water change?
3. are there any other technique that i'm not aware of? what is it? how to do?

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When specifically does the color change on the cardinals? If it's not until after adding in the new water maybe the parameters are too different between the old and new water.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There’s not really a whole lot you can do. You could try smaller changes with increased frequency. So instead of a 50-60% change once a week maybe do 2 25% water changes.
Your fish are always going to be a little stressed after a WC, but you gotta get rid of those nitrates!

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the wild there is no such thing as a tranquil environment for a fish. For pedators Its either "eat or be eaten", for small frys its "flee or be eaten".
Just make sure that plenty of decor is available for cover & concealment in your tank. When I change water, the fish disappear under & behind rocks.
You aren't harming your fish.

oldsalt777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neyndusk said:
all my fish get stressed when I perform water changes
especially cardinal tetras as their red tab fade for some period of time

1. how to avoid making fish stress while performing water changes?
2. how to prevent stress of fish while performing water change?
3. are there any other technique that i'm not aware of? what is it? how to do?
Hello Ney...

I use a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every five gallons of treated tap water when I perform a water change. Salt has been used for decades to ease the stress on fish. It has many other benefits too. I remove and replace at least half the tank water weekly and keep several species of
Tetras. They'll move away from the siphon, but they aren't stressed in any way. I put the siphon in the same general place each week and the fish have become used to it, like they do feeding times. As long as your tank water is clean and you use a bit of salt, the fish will be fine.

Old

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually had a discussion with my LFS owner yesterday about keeping the peace in SA community tanks. One thing he pointed out is that he always focuses on aquascaping from top to bottom.

often people just fill up the bottom half with plants, rock, wood, ornaments, etc. he explained how by having taller pants, or even propomg driftwood on its long end, tall rock piles, floating plants, etc you keep hiding at all levels of the tank so the fish can use multiple levels for hiding.

so with that mindset when your doing a water change if your near the bottom sucking gravel or sifting sand you are in their safe place With no where to go.

just a thought! But like everyone said it’s just part of the gig. Your stocking a foreign object in there and that can be a little stressful. But it’s for the overall health of the fish so it is what it is.

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I never worry about it, when I kept cardinals before they would get there red back pretty fast, as said earlier keep your parameters as close as you can.

New Threads