How to prevent debris dumping into tank from canister?

TacomaToker

I’ve only cleaned out my canister a few times, but almost always end up pumping a bunch of stuff back into the tank when it restarts. I always completely drain the canister and clean it out. Is there debris building up in the tubes or something? I don’t understand where it’s coming from. Thanks for any tips.

MoshJosh

I haven't personally used a canister filter, though I have had similar issues with HOB filters. After a thorough cleaning it would always throw gunk into the tank.

My first though is to try removing the outlet from the tank after cleaning the filter and let it run into a bucket (or down a drain/outside if applicable) until with water runs clear/no more debris is coming out.

Another option might be to get a very fine filter sock and place it over the outlet when you first turn the pump back on to catch some of that initial debris.

itsEmma

Is there debris building up in the tubes or something
Hi!
Yes, there is always lots of 'gunk' that builds up both in the inlet and outlet tubes. After a good clean, once the original, more powerful flow, is restored to your canister, it will blow the gunk out into your tank....
The solution is just to clean the inside of the tubes during your filter maintenance using a filter cleaning brush, it's basically like a bottle brush but on a long bendy wire. They're really cheap on Amazon or EBay.
Simply push the brush through the pipes then pour some water through them to wash the gunk out.
You'll be amazed at how much stuff flushes out!
As well as preventing that initial discharge back into your tank, keeping your tubes nice and clean will prevent a build up inside them reducing the flow over time.
Hope this helps!
Emma

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies
Views
Cody
Replies
Views
JoeNate