How to prevent Camallanus worms?

JoeV2004

Reaction score
•HERES THE BIG ENCHILADA: What medications can be used that as a prophylactic treatment for Camallanus? (I’ve read that these worms can take a few months for visible symptoms to show, and already mean severe damage has been done)

•I’m pretty sure most people have seen those nasty red worms that hang from a fish’s anus either online or in-person

•I’ve noticed that these parasitic worms have been becoming more and more common, especially on online forums

•I’m a bit paranoid about fish diseases because I have lost countless fish from diseases

•The most common diseases I have seen are ich, flukes, and fin rot

•I currently quarantine all new fish with a trio of meds : Paraguard, General Cure, and Kanaplex. My meds trio have been inspired by Cory from Aquarium Co-op. (Quick note: not exactly like cory’s regimen because of availability issues in my area)

•None of the meds I use in QT can treat camallanus

•In my 14 years of fish keeping, I have never experienced this disease but I want to be prepared

•Feel free to add any input on this issue

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Keep the treatment for Camallanus at least on hand, which is Levamisole. The tricky thing is it is very light sensitive and needs to stay in the tank for 24-48 hours, which means an effective course requires total tank blackout for a couple days, which (for some people/setups) might be a lot of hassle just for quarantine.

As a student of biology, I personally do not agree with using antibiotics as prevention in quarantine. (Levamisole is not an antibiotic - I am commenting on some of the other mentioned medications.) Non-antibiotic medications, fine... But not antibiotics. I understand Cory from Aquarium Co-Op does it because he is selling fish and 1) needs to shorten the length of time he quarantines, and 2) would like to make 99% sure the fish he sells will be disease-free to have more satisfied customers. That is business... Not the home aquarium.

The more you use antibiotics, the more antibiotic resistance builds, the more antibiotics become ineffective. Despite popular belief, bacteria can (and will) still slowly become resistant to antibiotics even if you follow the exact instructions and finish the course. That is why we should save them for when we need them and when they actually matter in the treatment of a diseased animal - not just because we can.

In the home aquarium, we have the luxury of quarantining the fish however long we want, and obviously, we're not in it to make a profit. For that reason, I would much rather monitor for two or three months instead of throwing a bunch of meds at fish so I can get them into the display tank faster.

Anyway, I digress - I was taking advantage of "add any input." For future reference, please only post the same thread once instead of in multiple places as part of forum etiquette.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom