How To Prevent Breeding?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Z123Killer, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

With fish like guppies I've heard that you have to get a female for each 2 males, If I had females in the tank with males have do I prevent having fry as much as possible?

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

You can't prevent it really, you can only have other fish that will eat the fry.

3. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

You can use a tank divider keeping one side male and the other females.

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Just have males

No, if you did this it is quite possible that the males would harass the females to death. You should have at least 2 females per male but more would be better, I have 3-4 females per male.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  5. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

Guppies are less prone to eating their fry, but other livebearers (swortails, platys and mollys) will eat their fry if you're not trying to save them (in breeding traps etc).

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I favor plates and mollies, and keep only females......Unless the little girls were involved with a male before I brought them home. After the babies are old enough I will re-home the males. This would work for guppies as well. Just keep only males if you prefer the look of them.

7. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Be careful with what you hear, and check it out more carefully. Usually, the suggestion is two or three females per male, due to the breeding drive the males have. They harass the females. I have never seen any print source suggest 2 males per female.

Fry are controlled by predators. Male only tanks are desperate things to watch, and I don't recommend the spectacle myself. The poor things end up trying to mate with rocks and snails.

Most tetras will solve fry surplus problems. Just cut back on feeding before the drop of fry. It seems a little harsh, but overpopulation kills everything.

8. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

That is true about the male guppies. I had only males a while ago and it was kinda sad :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice