How To Prevent Breeding?

Z123Killer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
With fish like guppies I've heard that you have to get a female for each 2 males, If I had females in the tank with males have do I prevent having fry as much as possible?

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can't prevent it really, you can only have other fish that will eat the fry.

Protim Sarkar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Z123Killer said:
With fish like guppies I've heard that you have to get a female for each 2 males, If I had females in the tank with males have do I prevent having fry as much as possible?
You can use a tank divider keeping one side male and the other females.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just have males

Z123Killer said:
I've heard that you have to get a female for each 2 males
No, if you did this it is quite possible that the males would harass the females to death. You should have at least 2 females per male but more would be better, I have 3-4 females per male.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies are less prone to eating their fry, but other livebearers (swortails, platys and mollys) will eat their fry if you're not trying to save them (in breeding traps etc).

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I favor plates and mollies, and keep only females......Unless the little girls were involved with a male before I brought them home. After the babies are old enough I will re-home the males. This would work for guppies as well. Just keep only males if you prefer the look of them.

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Be careful with what you hear, and check it out more carefully. Usually, the suggestion is two or three females per male, due to the breeding drive the males have. They harass the females. I have never seen any print source suggest 2 males per female.

Fry are controlled by predators. Male only tanks are desperate things to watch, and I don't recommend the spectacle myself. The poor things end up trying to mate with rocks and snails.

Most tetras will solve fry surplus problems. Just cut back on feeding before the drop of fry. It seems a little harsh, but overpopulation kills everything.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NavigatorBlack said:
Be careful with what you hear, and check it out more carefully. Usually, the suggestion is two or three females per male, due to the breeding drive the males have. They harass the females. I have never seen any print source suggest 2 males per female.

Fry are controlled by predators. Male only tanks are desperate things to watch, and I don't recommend the spectacle myself. The poor things end up trying to mate with rocks and snails.

Most tetras will solve fry surplus problems. Just cut back on feeding before the drop of fry. It seems a little harsh, but overpopulation kills everything.
That is true about the male guppies. I had only males a while ago and it was kinda sad

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads