How To Prevent Algae.

Iluvfishies

Active Member
Member
Messages
117
Reaction score
21
Location
Iowa
Experience
Just started
hello, I was curious as to if anyone could please tell me how to prevent algae in my 55 gallon tank. It was just set up a couple days ago, upgraded from my 29 gallon. And I’ve never had algae growth in that tank, I also never used light. Just natural light from my living room. Now I have a fluval 36-48 eco bar light. I’m only going to run it for 8 hours a day though. I’ve just seen some of my friends 55 gallons and they have completely been covered in algae. Maybe there light was on 24/7 didn’t help. But how can I avoid it??? Ally suggestions? Precautions etc ?

Also, here is a picture of my tank, yes it is front of a couple windows, but it does have blinds and weather plastic, so I’m hoping that does offer to much light? I will be getting curtains when I get paid to block it out and have just the lighting from the light bar.
 

Attachments

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
11,468
Reaction score
1,578
Location
Bay Area - Northern Calif
Experience
5 to 10 years
What type of algae are you referring to? Green algae? Brown Diatoms?

Some of it ( like Diatoms ) is not preventable in most cases if you have substrate/ornaments, etc as its due to silicates that are leeched in to the tank ( new tank syndrome )

As for the green and other algae ( Blue Green Algae, Black beard etc ) , there is a delicate balance not only of just the photoperiod but water chemistry such as phosphates, etc
Really the only way to know and deal with it is when you notice it in your tank then take measures to figure out what the causes are. You can't really know these things ahead of time and its all trial and error.

Also note that too much phosphates AND too little can cause a whole host of different stuff. Most algae in itself in a balance is good for the tank - but whatever you do, do not waste money on chemicals before you find out the CAUSE first and then go from there.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Iluvfishies

Iluvfishies

Active Member
Member
Messages
117
Reaction score
21
Location
Iowa
Experience
Just started
Junne said:
What type of algae are you referring to? Green algae? Brown Diatoms?

Some of it ( like Diatoms ) is not preventable in most cases if you have substrate/ornaments, etc as its due to silicates that are leeched in to the tank ( new tank syndrome )

As for the green and other algae ( Blue Green Algae, Black beard etc ) , there is a delicate balance not only of just the photoperiod but water chemistry such as phosphates, etc
Really the only way to know and deal with it is when you notice it in your tank then take measures to figure out what the causes are. You can't really know these things ahead of time and its all trial and error.

Also note that too much phosphates AND too little can cause a whole host of different stuff. Most algae in itself in a balance is good for the tank - but whatever you do, do not waste money on chemicals before you find out the CAUSE first and then go from there.
Well I think I’ve been doing okay so far, I check my water condition every other day with my master test kit. I also feed them sparingly and not more than they can finish. A couple questions:
1:is 8 hours a day for the tank light alright?
2:is my tank being in front of a couple windows okay? It has blinds always shut and plastic for weather (not clear) also I’m adding curtains when I get paid.
3: can I have to much airation? I have a 18”bubble amp wand under the gravel going. No strong current or anything.
4: (random) but would a bristlenose pleco be okay with my two jewel cichlids and Oscar?

THANYOU IN ADVANCE
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
33,051
Reaction score
9,027
Location
Texas
Experience
2 years
1. 8 hours is rather a long time if you don't have live plants. I'd cut it down to 4-6. You can use a timer so it'll come on when you're home and around the tank.

2. Should be fine as long as the blinds stay shut.
3. Not really, not in a non-planted tank.
4. Maybe, but I wouldn't risk it. The oscar could eat it when he becomes an adult. The bigger issue will be between the jewels and the Oscar - you're likely to end up with dead fish with that stocking. An oscar will outgrow the 55 gal too.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Iluvfishies

Iluvfishies

Active Member
Member
Messages
117
Reaction score
21
Location
Iowa
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
1. 8 hours is rather a long time if you don't have live plants. I'd cut it down to 4-6. You can use a timer so it'll come on when you're home and around the tank.

2. Should be fine as long as the blinds stay shut.
3. Not really, not in a non-planted tank.
4. Maybe, but I wouldn't risk it. The oscar could eat it when he becomes an adult. The bigger issue will be between the jewels and the Oscar - you're likely to end up with dead fish with that stocking. An oscar will outgrow the 55 gal too.
Okay, well in your opinion what’s the best way to go? My pet store here usually will take fish back in to trade if needed. Any idea what I can put with him? If anything???? And I plan on going to a 75 gallon fish tank later on when he gets larger. He’s around 4 inches maybe a little smaller ?

TexasDomer said:
1. 8 hours is rather a long time if you don't have live plants. I'd cut it down to 4-6. You can use a timer so it'll come on when you're home and around the tank.

2. Should be fine as long as the blinds stay shut.
3. Not really, not in a non-planted tank.
4. Maybe, but I wouldn't risk it. The oscar could eat it when he becomes an adult. The bigger issue will be between the jewels and the Oscar - you're likely to end up with dead fish with that stocking. An oscar will outgrow the 55 gal too.
Like I said I’m still kinda new at this and suggestions would be awesome my kids love fish and they seem to like the Oscar because they can see him pretty well.
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
33,051
Reaction score
9,027
Location
Texas
Experience
2 years
Iluvfishies said:
Okay, well in your opinion what’s the best way to go? My pet store here usually will take fish back in to trade if needed. Any idea what I can put with him? If anything???? And I plan on going to a 75 gallon fish tank later on when he gets larger. He’s around 4 inches maybe a little smaller ?
Iluvfishies said:
Like I said I’m still kinda new at this and suggestions would be awesome my kids love fish and they seem to like the Oscar because they can see him pretty well.
I would wait to get the oscar until you get the tank size for his adult tank. Many would argue that a 75 gal isn't big enough either. They are large and in charge. I wouldn't keep anything with him.

Jewels are super aggressive, and will kill their tank mates. Oscars too.

For your kids, I'd get some colorful and peaceful fish that will be entertaining to watch, not ones that will kill each other.

You could do something like this the 55 gal?

10x Emerald (C. splendens) or bronze/albino (C. aeneus) cories, just one species - these are larger, active, visible, and have pretty colors
10x Diamond tetra - larger and shimmering, so they attract your eye
15x Cherry barbs - you can get all males, they're bright red
1x Rainbow cichlid - colorful and easily seen
2x Keyholes - beautiful and visible
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Iluvfishies

Iluvfishies

Active Member
Member
Messages
117
Reaction score
21
Location
Iowa
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
I would wait to get the oscar until you get the tank size for his adult tank. Many would argue that a 75 gal isn't big enough either. They are large and in charge. I wouldn't keep anything with him.

Jewels are super aggressive, and will kill their tank mates. Oscars too.

For your kids, I'd get some colorful and peaceful fish that will be entertaining to watch, not ones that will kill each other.

You could do something like this the 55 gal?

10x Emerald (C. splendens) or bronze/albino (C. aeneus) cories, just one species - these are larger, active, visible, and have pretty colors
10x Diamond tetra - larger and shimmering, so they attract your eye
15x Cherry barbs - you can get all males, they're bright red
1x Rainbow cichlid - colorful and easily seen
2x Keyholes - beautiful and visible
That honestly sounds like a really good idea. My only question is, are they good with higher ph water? Where I live water is higher ph. Like 8. I’ve done stuff to try to get it lowered, but it doesn’t stay lower. I currently have the Oscar and two jewel cichlids in my fish tank, but if I had to, the pet store I baught them from would probably let me trade them out if I said they were to aggressive . Any thoughts?

TexasDomer said:
I would wait to get the oscar until you get the tank size for his adult tank. Many would argue that a 75 gal isn't big enough either. They are large and in charge. I wouldn't keep anything with him.

Jewels are super aggressive, and will kill their tank mates. Oscars too.

For your kids, I'd get some colorful and peaceful fish that will be entertaining to watch, not ones that will kill each other.

You could do something like this the 55 gal?

10x Emerald (C. splendens) or bronze/albino (C. aeneus) cories, just one species - these are larger, active, visible, and have pretty colors
10x Diamond tetra - larger and shimmering, so they attract your eye
15x Cherry barbs - you can get all males, they're bright red
1x Rainbow cichlid - colorful and easily seen
2x Keyholes - beautiful and visible
I do keep my ph at a constant level. I do 20% water change every Saturday and gravel vac the substrate 50% every Saturday also rotating from left side to right side. Is that okay? Could those fish you mentioned handle that?
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
33,051
Reaction score
9,027
Location
Texas
Experience
2 years
Yes, all of those fish are fine with a higher pH. Most soft water/low pH fish in the hobby are fine in harder water/higher pH. It's really only when it's the other way around that it's a problem for this fish I have soft water fish in my 8.2 pH water without issues.

I would definitely trade them out and go for a more peaceful community.

Your water change/gravel vac schedule is fine, and not at all stressful. I do 50% weekly changes on my tanks, many with wild caught fish, and they all can handle it. Just try to match the temp of the water with the tank water when adding it back.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Iluvfishies

Iluvfishies

Active Member
Member
Messages
117
Reaction score
21
Location
Iowa
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
Yes, all of those fish are fine with a higher pH. Most soft water/low pH fish in the hobby are fine in harder water/higher pH. It's really only when it's the other way around that it's a problem for this fish I have soft water fish in my 8.2 pH water without issues.

I would definitely trade them out and go for a more peaceful community.

Your water change/gravel vac schedule is fine, and not at all stressful. I do 50% weekly changes on my tanks, many with wild caught fish, and they all can handle it. Just try to match the temp of the water with the tank water when adding it back.
Sweet! That sounds good! Thankyou so much!

TexasDomer said:
Yes, all of those fish are fine with a higher pH. Most soft water/low pH fish in the hobby are fine in harder water/higher pH. It's really only when it's the other way around that it's a problem for this fish I have soft water fish in my 8.2 pH water without issues.

I would definitely trade them out and go for a more peaceful community.

Your water change/gravel vac schedule is fine, and not at all stressful. I do 50% weekly changes on my tanks, many with wild caught fish, and they all can handle it. Just try to match the temp of the water with the tank water when adding it back.
Okay so I need help and fast. I’m assuming it’s because I did a new tank upgrade techinally but I just tested my tank with master tank kit and I have
Ammonia: .50ppm
Nitrite: .50ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm

Not sure what the best thing is to do. I did about 10 gallon water change earlier. HELP.
Is everything okay? Will it work out??

My 29 they came from was
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:30

And now this. What should I do????
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
33,051
Reaction score
9,027
Location
Texas
Experience
2 years
Larger water change and then dose with Prime. Water changes are almost always the answer when parameters are off. In a 55 gal, a 10 gal water change won't do much. Go for at least a 50% when parameters are off.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Iluvfishies

Iluvfishies

Active Member
Member
Messages
117
Reaction score
21
Location
Iowa
Experience
Just started
Okay so TexasDomer I did that 50% water change like you said and I just got home from work and tested it again, it’s a little better but the nitrite seems a little higher but the rest lower. Should I do another water change or let it run a little longer and see if it works it self out?? Or maybe even a small water change and gravel vac some? I’m not sure if it makes a difference but I added a chunk of mopanI wood after it boils for like 4 hours and got the tannins out.

TexasDomer said:
Larger water change and then dose with Prime. Water changes are almost always the answer when parameters are off. In a 55 gal, a 10 gal water change won't do much. Go for at least a 50% when parameters are off.
And I just did it last night so you know just please let me know what your suggestion is ASAP!
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
33,051
Reaction score
9,027
Location
Texas
Experience
2 years
Sorry I'm a bit late, busy in RL. I would do a water change, as I suggested above, any time parameters are off. Nitrites are very toxic to fish.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
206
Guests online
3,323
Total visitors
3,529

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom