how to prepare greens for mollies?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ninacolors, Dec 10, 2009.

1. ninacolorsNew MemberMember

I have a 12 gal tank w 2 females and 1 male molly. Ammonia is 0 and I just changed 25% of the water. After I did that, the male started hanging vertically (head up) and today has had 2 very long strings coming out; not normal poop.

I've read all I can and it sounds like he may be constipated (but does that account for the vertical hanging?). I've been feeding flake food and now see that I have to feed them greens. How do I prepare them? How small do I cut them up?

Thanks!

2. iloveengl

iloveenglWell Known MemberMember

Hi nincolors, welcome to fishlore. :)

What kind of veggie is it? My mollies pick at everything, so long as I remove any tough skin (like on cucumbers or zucchini). If it's lettuce or something like that, then just hold a corner down under a rock or use a veggie clip, then they'll pick at it all they want. Remove it after a day or so because it gets kinda gross.

If you wanted, you could toss it in boiling water for a few second, then drop it in ice water to blanch it. That will make it a little softer and easier for the fish to eat.

What color are the strings?

That's odd behavior (the vertical hanging) directly after a water change. Was the water a vastly different temp? Perhaps a pH shock? Did you remember to add the water conditioner? Is the tank already cycled?

3. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

You can take a frozen green pea, microwave enough to thaw, remove the skin. chop into very small pieces, the size of the fish's eye or smaller. Then soak it in a bit of garlic juice if you have it on hand. The garlic is just a good immune-system builder.

Daphnia helps constipation too, but I'd use a pea at this point. Also, you may want to fast the fish for a day or two.

4. OP
    OP
    n

ninacolorsNew MemberMember

Thanks, everyone. I cut up a lettuce leaf real small, and floated the pieces, but they weren't interested:) I'll get some peas.

Yep, tank is cycled. The water was cooler, but I do have a heater in there. I guess it might have been a bit of a shock. I'll remember to add some hot water before I change. Yes, I did use water conditioner. And the long strings that came out were white/clear w some red on it.

Sounds like hemmoroids to me:)

5. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

white or clear poop is a bad thing, I think... let me see if i can find anything on it.

edit: just a quick search on the forum is showing that is can be a sign of parasites or constipation... so I guess that either way, the peas with garlic should help.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice