how to prepare greens for mollies?

1. ninacolors Initiate Member

I have a 12 gal tank w 2 females and 1 male molly. Ammonia is 0 and I just changed 25% of the water. After I did that, the male started hanging vertically (head up) and today has had 2 very long strings coming out; not normal poop.

I've read all I can and it sounds like he may be constipated (but does that account for the vertical hanging?). I've been feeding flake food and now see that I have to feed them greens. How do I prepare them? How small do I cut them up?

Thanks!

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Hi nincolors, welcome to fishlore. :)

What kind of veggie is it? My mollies pick at everything, so long as I remove any tough skin (like on cucumbers or zucchini). If it's lettuce or something like that, then just hold a corner down under a rock or use a veggie clip, then they'll pick at it all they want. Remove it after a day or so because it gets kinda gross.

If you wanted, you could toss it in boiling water for a few second, then drop it in ice water to blanch it. That will make it a little softer and easier for the fish to eat.

What color are the strings?

That's odd behavior (the vertical hanging) directly after a water change. Was the water a vastly different temp? Perhaps a pH shock? Did you remember to add the water conditioner? Is the tank already cycled?

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You can take a frozen green pea, microwave enough to thaw, remove the skin. chop into very small pieces, the size of the fish's eye or smaller. Then soak it in a bit of garlic juice if you have it on hand. The garlic is just a good immune-system builder.

Daphnia helps constipation too, but I'd use a pea at this point. Also, you may want to fast the fish for a day or two.

4. ninacolors Initiate Member

Thanks, everyone. I cut up a lettuce leaf real small, and floated the pieces, but they weren't interested:) I'll get some peas.

Yep, tank is cycled. The water was cooler, but I do have a heater in there. I guess it might have been a bit of a shock. I'll remember to add some hot water before I change. Yes, I did use water conditioner. And the long strings that came out were white/clear w some red on it.

Sounds like hemmoroids to me:)

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

white or clear poop is a bad thing, I think... let me see if i can find anything on it.

edit: just a quick search on the forum is showing that is can be a sign of parasites or constipation... so I guess that either way, the peas with garlic should help.