How To Prepare For Guppy Birth?

1. B

BriannaBetta123 New Member Member

The male was rehomed last week because he began to nonstop pest her and I do not want to continuously breed them. I thought she was giving birth last week with erratic behavior but she just keeps getting bigger and bigger to the point where I can now see actual fry eyes inside her stomach (she's a blonde guppy, I can see clearly into her body). There are many black dots. I don't know when she is due beause I didn't notice she was pregnant until two weeks ago. She's very big, about two inches, so I didn't notice pregnancy like I would have in a smaller fish. She's in a ten gallon tank with two platies and a fruit tetra. I just don't want them to eat her fry but I'm worried about moving her. The tank is pretty planted. I have a fake ivy plant. Do you think they'll be safe? She keeps swimming as if she is trying to escape the tank and that is only a behavior I noticed in a Molly I used to have. Always running into the corners of the tank. But do fish even have the instinct of not feeling safe somewhere to give birth? I tried to attach decent pics of the tank and the guppy. They are way too fast. I tried my best haha

Attached Files:

2. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I would keep her in the main tank, and then if you want to save the fry you scoop out the fry when they are birthed and put them into another tank. If you move her while she is pregnant she can hold the fry or miscarry them.

3. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Some will survive but it may take a bunch of floating weeds to save them all. If you are around you can net the fry out and attend to them for a week or so in a small container. After that they can swim faster and hide with any amount of hiding spots. Some guppies hunt their fry, mine mostly do not and that makes it easier. And your female may drop fry for the rest of her life even without a male present. A few more batches are almost certainty.

4. OP
    OP
    B

BriannaBetta123 New Member Member

Thanks for the advice. I was going to remove the fry and keep them in a small container and then house them better as they grow. Just worried they'll be born while I'm away at work.

5. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

The real answer is heavy weeds and you will save plenty. At least some at the top because that is where newborn guppies tend to migrate to for at least a while the first day. Many of mine spend a lot of time there if weeds are present.