how to plant moss?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by jersey, Mar 23, 2010.

1. jersey

jersey Valued Member Member

ok this may sound lke a stupid question but i just got a few samples of mosses for my tank and im wondering how i plant them i dont see any roots? hopefully i can get an answer soon because im not sure how long it will last in the bags. i got samples of
    -singapore moss
    -erect flame? not sure if im reading it right
    -christmas moss
    -taiwan moss
    -java moss.
    i got some other plants but i can see the roots haha.

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

I'm not an expert on moses I only have java moss (a mass) I stuck a stone in the middle and sunk it. After about a month I removed the stone and it stayed in place. I beleive most mosses you can tie to stones, driftwood and decorations. (Use nylon thread or fishing line not cotton thread it will rot and sometimes grow algae). Hope this helps.

3. OP
    OP
    jersey

ok thanks. i stuffed some into my driftwood it had a little hole.but i wasnt too sure.

4. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

Are you just trying to grow it in a certain spot or create a carpet or wall of it?

5. OP
    OP
    jersey

i really dont know i just kinda got the samples given to me and thought it would be neat to try.

6. trinket

trinket Well Known Member Member

Moss don't have roots (as far as I know), but you can grow it onto things by attaching it, the moss will "hang on" after awhile. You can lightly tie it around something like a rock, coconut shell, driftwood etc and eventually when the thread disintegrates, the moss will hold itself on. I have some in my tank and I just anchor it down with a small stone. You can also make a moss wall by using plastic craft mesh but I'm not too sure about all the details.

7. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

There are some really neat DIY projects for carpets and walls like funkman suggested. You can look into that. You can actually do quite abit with moses. Look under plants and DIY forums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice