How to pick new Betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Genavelle, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Genavelle

Genavelle Valued Member Member

So I'm planning on getting a Betta later this month once I get into my new apartment, and I've been trying to get all the details planned out now in advance. I had looked up about different types of Bettas and I really like the Rosetail Bettas because they just look so pretty-BUT today I found some stuff saying that you shouldn't get Rosetail Bettas because their tails are too heavy and it can lead to physical problems with the fish later down the road. I also found other people saying it's okay to buy them, as long as you know what signs to look for that indicate that they have weaker tails and whatnot so you can pick a healthier fish.

At the end of the day, I want a fish that's going to be healthy and not have its tail collapse or something painful like that. So I'm just wondering what all you guys think both in terms of the Rosetail, and if there are any other known problems with the other types of Bettas that I should watch out for. I want a pretty fish, but I don't want to choose pretty traits that can be harmful to the fish.

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

I don't have any experience with the rosetails, but if you want a similar look, I'd go with a halfmoon. :) I don't know of any health issues specific to the tail type of the betta except for the case of the rosetail betta, but, the more finnage there is the more fin that can rip and develop fin rot, so keep that in mind. My halfmoon has managed to rip his fins up, I'm assuming from the plant that I'm always finding him "buried" inside, so be careful with what type of plants you get. I have a plastic plant, so I might recommend silk. Also, I've heard of plakat bettas being more aggressive, but that shouldn't be an issue unless you're planning on a betta community tank.

Hope I helped some. :)

3. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I think it is unethical to breed or buy rosetails, they really have a miserable time as they get older. A nice regular halfmoon looks better to me anyhow.

4. OP
    OP
    Genavelle

Genavelle Valued Member Member

Thanks! I was just starting to get worried that maybe a lot of other kinds would have problems too. I'll probably try to avoid getting a Rosetail now, but I don't really have a favorite kind so I'll just see who looks pretty when I go to pick one out. The crowntails are pretty cool too, and veils are pretty. I was at a store the other day and saw a really pretty betta that I think was a veil, it was white with light blue spots! Too bad I still have to wait a couple weeks to buy one

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

My advice? Buy the one you fall in love with. You'll know when you see him/her. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice