how to pick fish food

Cody

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i notice when i ever im at the fish store that there is a unbelievable selection of fish food. i normaly use tetramin as my basic flakes then i have some different types of pelets and treats use. Is there brands that are known to the fishworld that just arent good, do fish care. I understand the different types of food for cichlids or live beares or bottom feeding fish, that type of verity is understandable , but i like i willl see that this ones for color and this ones is a nice balance etc, was wondering what you guys like to use and what you veiws are, but this allso might be a problem since we coudl be talking about brand names in a negitive way, im not sure the whole legal issue of that on this forum but if this is a good topic that mike wont get yelled at for, lets start

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually try to stick to what i know. I've used New Life Spectrum since it hit the commercial market a few years ago. Its all i feed and all i plan to ever feed (except the discus and beef heart) as long as its on the shelves. I love their pellets, pellets sink very well, come in a wide range of sizes and do not degrade in water like other pellets. The fish go nuts for them. Lots of formulas to choose from as well.

Cody

Well Known Member
Reaction score
where do you get that new life specturm, i dont think i have ever seen it around here

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just get it from my LFS. Where are you located? They don't carry it at chain stores, just LFS. Some, well a lot of online places carry it. I'm starting to buy it by the 5lb bucket.

Cody

Well Known Member
Reaction score
im in wisonsin, my lfs has a kind of food there that no other places have, i dont know for sure what its called, i know its expnsive ad its in a thing taht yo have to do by your self, kind of how people get coffe out of those dispensers

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As a rule of thumb, all I do is research the fish species profile first. (e.g. some African Cichlids require more veggies in their diet, too much protein could harm them).

Then I provide as much variety as I can. Even if that means falling into a marketing trap (buying the same thing with different name and presentation).

The only controversy in fishfood I have found -not settled yet, has to do with a preservative that is present in most of them: Ethoxyquin.

I purchase the smallest possible sizes for the sake of the freshness of the food (even if not financially wise), and whenever I can grab a food that is made with fish fillet, instead of fish meal, I get it. I don't have many options for the really good brands (most not available down here).

Pepe
Santo Domingo

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom