How to not kill off Java Fern?

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've never tried aquatic plants except moss balls. I just bought 2 j.fern yesterday and put them just below the gravel in a 5 gallon 2wpg tank. I bought substrate fert tabs and put 3 in according to the package. Am I doing anything wrong? Should I tie the fern to something instead, which is what I seem to be reading? I have some non-porous rocks on hand I can use, or should I go find something different?

156.jpg

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks so much for that link! I will be taking it out of the gravel today then and use some thread to wrap it around a rock. Does the rock have to be porous?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the rock just shouldn't be totally smooth so the roots have something to grab on to.

-Lisa

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The rocks in your tank will be fine for attahcing the fern to. It will even attach itself to the terracotta pot given a few extra weeks. Drilling holes in suitable places on the pot will make it easier to tie the Java Fern in position.

Substrate fertilizers are of no use to Moss Balls or Java Fern. Both of those get thier nutrients from the water column. A liquid fertilizer such as Seachem Flourish Comprehensive will have much more benefit for those plants & will be very economical in a small tank.

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When you say rocks, do you mean the gravel or do you mean the little house (not the pot)?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The house.

You can plant Java Fern in the gravel but the rhizome needs to be exposed above the gravel. If you read the thread you were linked to in post 2, you will see pics I posted showing exactly where the rhizome is located.

Java Fern will always do better as an attached plant rather than planted in the substrate.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Slightly off-topic but awesome thinking outside the box on the heater! I've struggled to fit the heater and more than like 1/2" of gravel in my 5g and now I see how I can do it!

-Lisa

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nutter, ok thanks - I figured it has to be the house you meant cause how in the world would I attach (with thread) to the gravel lol!

Lisa thanks, I have all my heaters like this in my smaller tanks, I figure it will also distribute heat better as well

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom