How to move nerite to my new tank

Laura306

Hi, wondering how to remove my nerite snail from my small tank to my big tank.
I get acclimatising him, even though the parameters are about the same (you never know).
But how do I actually get him into the baggie? He has such a good grip on the glass, if I try to wiggle him or slide him or gently tap his side, he just doesn't budge but his shell feels and looks SO loose and wiggly. I'm terrified I'm going to tear it off and I'm worried he's been injured by the fish causing the loose shell.
Is there a way?
He hasn't been moving much the last 4 days, some nocturnal sliding around but he's keeping close to his shell and I haven't seen his little mouth scrapers for the full 4 days. I don't know how long it will be before he goes onto a rock at the bottom that I can pick up and take him with it.
He's usually so active and lively, and I know nerites can have periods of inactivity but it's gone so long and I find it weird he still moves a tiny bit, but not eating. I did see my smaller goldfish nip at the tip of his shell one time and she sort of nudged him a teensy bit.
Need some help! Thanks in advance!

Dunk2

Hi, wondering how to remove my nerite snail from my small tank to my big tank.
I get acclimatising him, even though the parameters are about the same (you never know).
But how do I actually get him into the baggie? He has such a good grip on the glass, if I try to wiggle him or slide him or gently tap his side, he just doesn't budge but his shell feels and looks SO loose and wiggly. I'm terrified I'm going to tear it off and I'm worried he's been injured by the fish causing the loose shell.
Is there a way?
He hasn't been moving much the last 4 days, some nocturnal sliding around but he's keeping close to his shell and I haven't seen his little mouth scrapers for the full 4 days. I don't know how long it will be before he goes onto a rock at the bottom that I can pick up and take him with it.
He's usually so active and lively, and I know nerites can have periods of inactivity but it's gone so long and I find it weird he still moves a tiny bit, but not eating. I did see my smaller goldfish nip at the tip of his shell one time and she sort of nudged him a teensy bit.
Need some help! Thanks in advance!
I need to clear Nerites off my tank lids most every time I do water changes.

I gently and slowly slide them back and forth over a very small area and tap their shell. They pretty quickly release their grip and I place them in the tank.

My Nerites also go days without much activity. I wouldn’t worry about it, but keep an eye on him.

Upvote 0

Revan

Yeah, nerites aren't exactly the most active ones. I go days without even seeing my nerite at this point. As for acclimating, I don't think snails really need a whole lot of acclimation. It's probably the safer option, but I've just plunked my nerites in my tank and they're doing fine. Probably want better advice than mine though lol, I'm still a beginner too.

As for removing him, their grip can be pretty firm. Instead of pulling him, try to slide him instead. Their grip will weaken, and you may be able to just pull him, if not, then slide him out of the tank.

Upvote 0

Laura306

Thanks for your reply Dunk2,
I do the same with my small zebras, but my big tiger just doesn't budge at all.
I'm so worried about ripping his shell from his body.
Do yours have really loose feeling shells, is that normal?
I will definitely keep an eye on it, thanks :)
Yeah, nerites aren't exactly the most active ones. I go days without even seeing my nerite at this point. As for acclimating, I don't think snails really need a whole lot of acclimation. It's probably the safer option, but I've just plunked my nerites in my tank and they're doing fine. Probably want better advice than mine though lol, I'm still a beginner too.

As for removing him, their grip can be pretty firm. Instead of pulling him, try to slide him instead. Their grip will weaken, and you may be able to just pull him, if not, then slide him out of the tank.
Yeah I've heard it a lot. I know they are nocturnal and take pretty long breaks. But this is definitely the first longer than 24 hour break he's taken.
Haha I did consider just putting him in there, but I just want that peace of mind lol.
I never try pulling him off the glass (I know that's a sure way to cause damage and pain) but even sliding is the same, won't move a mm and his shell just looks so loose I'll try it again tomorrow, but I don't want to try too often in case it's damaging him (like, if there is an issue with his shell being loose, I don't want to aggravate it).
Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Thanks for your reply Dunk2,
I do the same with my small zebras, but my big tiger just doesn't budge at all.
I'm so worried about ripping his shell from his body.
Do yours have really loose feeling shells, is that normal?
I will definitely keep an eye on it, thanks :)
No, I’ve never noticed or thought one of my Nerites’ shells felt loose.

I’ve also never had one that wouldn’t release it’s grip. Some are more stubborn than others, but they all release pretty quick.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Upvote 0

Laura306

No, I’ve never noticed or thought one of my Nerites’ shells felt loose.

I’ve also never had one that wouldn’t release it’s grip. Some are more stubborn than others, but they all release pretty quick.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help.
Thanks, I actually think your experience is of great help!
Knowing that your nerites' shells don't get that tells me I will have to observe him closely and be extra gentle with him.
I was pretty sure he didn't used to feel so fragile and now I'm pretty confident I was right in thinking that. I'm starting to suspect my fish more and more. Maybe this is why he's been so withdrawn lately, he might have been recovering...
I'll wait until he's on a rock and pick him up that way. In the new tank he will not be bothered and calcium will be supplemented. Hopefully he gets back on his "feet" by the time fish are moved into there.

Thanks again, you've been a great help!

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Thanks, I actually think your experience is of great help!
Knowing that your nerites' shells don't get that tells me I will have to observe him closely and be extra gentle with him.
I was pretty sure he didn't used to feel so fragile and now I'm pretty confident I was right in thinking that. I'm starting to suspect my fish more and more. Maybe this is why he's been so withdrawn lately, he might have been recovering...
I'll wait until he's on a rock and pick him up that way. In the new tank he will not be bothered and calcium will be supplemented. Hopefully he gets back on his "feet" by the time fish are moved into there.

Thanks again, you've been a great help!
Keep us posted! Good luck.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SingingFish
  • Question
Replies
Views
SingingFish