How to Move fish?? Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JDcichlidlover, Dec 2, 2012.

1. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

My husband and I are moving from wooster, oh to kalispell, montana in february. My big question is... how do I move my mbunas?? . We're driving out. It will probably take us 4 day. I have a three yr old too and its kinda gonna be an adventure. Or maybe I can instruct my parents on how to ship my fish once we get moved in??

I don't know anything on shipping fish either so anyhelp would be appreciated. Shipping is sounding better and better though. But I definanly want opinions and help.

Thank you in advance
    -Alyssa

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think you would be better off shipping them as well. I would go to the LFS (non chain) and see if they can hold the fish there for you until you are ready for them. They ought to be able to ship them for you too. The fact that your parents are still there is good, so they can settle up with the store for you. Are you taking the tank with you or are you going to buy one out there? One thing for sure, is to take the filter media with you. It will survive the transit just fine as long as the media is kept wet and at a normal temperature.

3. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Well, you can pack your fish up real well and take them in the car with you.

Get a styrofoam cooler and heat packs for trasnporting fish. You can use large bags from petco, bag them up with maybe 1/4 of the bag water and the rest air. I always add stresscoat or kordon fish protector to my bags. I'd make a layer on the bottom of the cooler with styrofoam packing peanuts, the put the bags in. Fill in around the bags with more packing peanuts.

You'll probably need 2 heatpacks for a large cooler. Wrap them in newspaper and put them ontop of the packing peanuts or tape them to the lid of cooler.

Then tape the lip of cooler shut.

4. Jaysee

For a 4 day trip, I'd spend a few bucks and get kordon breather bags.

Also, if you take them with you, fast the fish for a few days first. You don't want them producing any additional waste. They'll be fine not eating for a week.

5. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

I dunno if ill ship the tank or take it with me. There are no lfs near me. Closest one is 45 min away and they don't do that kind of thing. My parents have a big house. Plenty of room for the tank. Id just have to tell them how to ship it? And my fishes. I'm worried about taking them with me for the trip.

6. Jaysee

Shipping the tank would be a pretty expensive. You would probably be better off just buying one out there, when you arrive. If you look on craigslist, you might even be able to get a good deal on a used one all lined up. I'm sure your parents could sell the tank....or perhaps store it for you that way if you move back at some point, you don't have to worry about getting another tank.

Sounds like you'll be taking the fish with you. It's not a big deal - whenever I buy fish online, I always get priority shipping which is 3 days. The kordon breather bags allow you to fill the bag up all the way, to give them the most water they could have, and the bag allows for the gas exchange to occur, so there's no worry there. When sellers ship with them, they often only use like 8 ounces of water, which saves on shipping cost. Know that the more water you give the fish (the better), the more space it'll take up.

7. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

I just talked to my mom. She's a science teacher and I just finished stocking her 15gal. I asked if she could take my fishes in to her classroom. She's suppose to get a bigger room next school year.

I won't be moving back so that's not an issue if she doesn't want to keep it. Buying or making (my hubbys talking about building one for me :) ) a new/used one sounds like a good idea. I love my fishes but I'm thinking moms going to like them in her classroom. I might ask her to ship me my favorites when I get a new one set up but otherwise I think she might like keeping them if just to say "those are my daughter's, aren't they beautiful?" Lol

I'm gonna miss my babies :(. I've got a few more months with them til we move. Its just that everything isn't set in stone. I want us to be totally settled before I set up. What if we're there for 2 months and decide to move again or something? Too much shock moving around that much.

Mom says she might have room in her classroom right now. A few desks and computers that don't get used. That type of stuff. So she's gonna move it around and see. Ill get her set up and give her a nice long care sheet for my mbunas. Otherwise ill bet she gives them bloat lol.

8. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

yay:) hubby has promised I get to bring my fishes with us when we move :D SOOOO HAPPPPYYY!!! :;bananarow
    kordon bags check
    styrofoam container and heat packs check
    nice cushy stuff for around the tank check

9. guster730

guster730 Valued Member Member

lol I remember when I was 10 and we moved we just took the aquarium, I think it had 4 goldfish in it and put it in the seat and held it there, although it was only a 1 hour drive. They all lived.

10. JustKeepSwimming

JustKeepSwimming Well Known Member Member

Have you thought about a bait aerator? They're relatively cheap (under $20) and work on batteries. It will last the trip, your fish will be oxygenated and that's one thing you don't have to worry about.

11. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

well guster its a 55gallon tank lol. thats 660lbs of just water. not to mention the 50lbs of sand and probably 50lb of rock that is in the tank lol.

I thought about it justkeepswimming but I think if they're stuck in a bucket all together then someone is going to get hurt. in bags they won't be able to hurt each other. the kordon breathers allow for gas exchange and I can fill it up completely with water.

12. JustKeepSwimming

Another idea is strainers in a large plastic tub. Each fish in a strainer (maybe some pantyhose on the top to secure them from getting out) in a plastic tub. The aerator would keep them all oxygenated and they wouldn't be able to kill each other?

13. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

id leave it with the parents and get it when you come to visit after your settled

14. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

no way cichlidman lol, my parents don't know the first thing about fish, it'll be a few years before we make a trip back. that'll mean a few years of no water changes. or them using clorinated water n killing them all.
    I'm still liking the idea of the kordon breather bags. my catfish would get tangled up in pantyhose, the rest of them would get their fins stuck at some point. they'll at least be able to move in the breather bags, oh, and theres over 25 cichlids atm not to mention the catfish and cae lol. most of them are between 1-3 inches but i've got two that are 5-6 and my catfish is 4-5. waaayy too many strainers. otherwise a great idea. i think the breather bags will take up less space. it allows for gas exchange so they'll still be getting oxygen

15. JustKeepSwimming

Well, good luck! I hope it all goes smoothly and safely. :D

16. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

me too. its not til april or may so i've got some time to buy what I need and get everything ready. I'm thinking of buying a dope for the fish too so they don't go into shock. the fish we receive for work come in doped. they're usually fine within an hour after not being in the doped water anymore.

yesterday when I was doing the change from gravel to sand a few of the fish we're pretty freaked out, I went to scoop them out of the bucket and back into the tank and they were ridged, not flopping or anything, they calmed down after a few minutes of just sitting on the bottom of the tank, but I was kinda scared that I just killed 'em.

17. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

I think that's the right way to do it .I would ask at my LFS how do they get their fish from Asia-Singapore ect. ect..
    My store get`s them as Childnut suggested. Usually 4 to 7 days but if you worry about the heating you can get an inverter DC-AC plugged into your lighter and of you go ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice