How to move fish from a tank with black beard algae?

GabrielParker

Reaction score
I'm moving a ton of fish from my 125l tank with black beard algae to another tank and what should I do? I don't want to cross contaminate water and get BBA in the other tank. I've heard that you should keep them in a tank and not feed them for 2-3 days before adding them? Is this true and is there any other things to do as well?

Greg F

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you moving them to treat the BBA or are they going to a new home anyway and you just don't want to get the algae in the new tank?

OP
GabrielParker

GabrielParker

Reaction score
Greg F said:
Are you moving them to treat the BBA or are they going to a new home anyway and you just don't want to get the algae in the new tank?
They are going to a new home and I don't want to get BBA in that tank.

mrsP

Reaction score
If new home is close by, they don't need to fast. You can treat some water so it's good for you fish, just like when doing WC, net the fish and put them to that new water. If new home is far, a few hours away, they can fast couple of days before doing that.

OP
GabrielParker

GabrielParker

Reaction score
mrsP said:
If new home is close by, they don't need to fast. You can treat some water so it's good for you fish, just like when doing WC, net the fish and put them to that new water. If new home is far, a few hours away, they can fast couple of days before doing that.
So if home is close by you can put them in dechlorinated water before before putting them in and don't need to fast them?

New Threads