How to move cherry shrimp

Minoul

Reaction score
I have to move back to college in a few weeks and i have a nice starting colony of cherries but from personal experience i know how hard it can be for them in new conditions. I have 4 really nice females (also all berried!!!!) and really really dont want to lose them. I use tap water conditioned with prime, so tap conditions will probably change (how risky is that). Any tips or recs appreciated want to start preparing now

20 gallon as well

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
is it possible to take your tank water in containers and work from there once its setup at college

OP
Minoul

Minoul

Reaction score
maybe like 10 gallons if i package my fish/shrimp/plants generously but not more than that
richiep said:
is it possible to take your tank water in containers and work from there once its setup at college

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Taking half should give you enough to get it right, do you intend to catch as many shrimp and bag them, also whats the running time from home to college

OP
Minoul

Minoul

Reaction score
I intend to catch all shrimp yea the females only recently got berried so i dont think they will release until i move in, its 3 hours to college, im thinking i put enough water in for the shrimp to swim around and then add the rest of the water using airline tubing perhaps that will acclimate them?
richiep said:
Taking half should give you enough to get it right, do you intend to catch as many shrimp and bag them, also whats the running time from home to college

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
make sure you put some moss in their container to hold onto, you could put the 10 gallon back in and float the shrimp then release they are going back into the same water but you can also do it the way you've said.
The most important part is when it comes to putting the other 10 gallons in, your ph&gh may be totally different and this is where care should be taken so add this water very slowly over a few days if you want or a dlow drip, i would also split the shrimp into separate containers in groups of 10ish this allows for any problems that may accour with transportation you've always got some to fall back on.

OP
Minoul

Minoul

Reaction score
Great ideas thanks a bunch!!

Or maybe just keep the new babies in a separate container until params stabilize? Might do that

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We can only give you ideas but as a shrimper yourself you can take what suits you, you seem to have a general idea as to what you want,
You'll find young shrimp travel better than older ones so if you get a problem it will be with them

OP
Minoul

Minoul

Reaction score
haha yeah... thanks as always
richiep said:
We can only give you ideas but as a shrimper yourself you can take what suits you, you seem to have a general idea as to what you want,
You'll find young shrimp travel better than older ones so if you get a problem it will be with them

New Threads