How to medicate without disturbing cycle?

GeorgieGirl1003

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does API General Cure & Fin & Body affect BB? How do I prevent crashing newly reestablished cycle? I’ve also heard I can use these two products together at the same time along with Ich-X & that the ingredients support the function of each other. Has anyone else tried this? I have 5 guppies in a 10 gallon who are showing quickly progressing signs of bacterial infection. Last time I treated for bac. infection I ended up with a fungal infection immediately following & had to treat/change water for two weeks causing cycle to crash & though first treatment slowed the progression of the infection I don’t think it cured it & I think it was made worse again by fluctuating water chemistry. Also, algae started blooming.

watermelon46

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't believe that those medications will affect the cycle. The only one I've heard to hurt your BB is Methylene blue. Carbon in your filter may also extract medicine from your water so take that out or replace before adding any products.
GeorgieGirl1003 said:
I have 5 guppies in a 10 gallon who are showing quickly progressing signs of bacterial infection. Last time I treated for bac. infection I ended up with a fungal infection immediately following & had to treat/change water for two weeks causing cycle to crash & though first treatment slowed the progression of the infection I don’t think it cured it & I think it was made worse again by fluctuating water chemistry. Also, algae started blooming.
Yeah, take it slow. The worst thing you can do to your tank is swinging the parameters with unnecessary changes and adding chemicals of all sorts. I've made that mistake too many times.

New Threads