How To Match The Store Tanks Ph Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Snooze, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Snooze

SnoozeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Since my tap water has a pH of about 8, what do I do if the pet store's tanks have a lower pH?

2. TheMadScientist

TheMadScientistValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +142
    Experience:
    1 year
    I would acclimate Your fish for about 30 min floating and add your water to it slowly
    Its harder to maintain some one elses or "ideal" PH than it is to acclimate.And most peoples water is very tollerable still..Its safer for the fish to not have changes all the time than have a constant.....My well water runs about 8.3 and I tried when I got into the hobby And it was not feasable even to attempt...

3. varmint

varmintWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +377
    Experience:
    3 years
    If the pet store is in the same area that you live in, and you're on city water, then it should be pretty near the same.

4. PonzLL

PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,500
    Experience:
    3 years
    My pH is 8.4 and you can’t move it at all. When I get new fish, I dump them and their water into a bucket, then start a siphon from the tank to the bucket using a piece of airline tubing with a knot tied in it to slow it to a moderate drip. I let that go for an hour or so and it gives them a really good, slow acclimation to my extreme parameters. After that I just met them up and move to my tank.

5. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +956
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Unless you know exactly what you are doing dont try to match or chase pH. It is possible to do but it is tedious and requires time. As others have said just acclimate

6. Seasoldier

SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +717
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Acclimate them slowly to your new Ph it's more harmful to fish to continually try to chase Ph to make it 'ideal', it's the big swings that usually kill fish. What fish do you have by the way?

7. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,063
    As mentioned, many fish (especially those bred in captivity) can adapt to a moderate pH variance and slow acclimation will help. That said, I would select fish more likely to be comfortable at a higher pH if possible. You can always ask what pH the fish are kept in at the store. In any case, I wouldn't try to change your pH.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Half of my LFS tanks match our local tap pH but the whole back of the store is at a higher pH. It never hurts to ask if you want to be sure.

8. OP
    OP
    Snooze

SnoozeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks everybody. The information you gave me was just what I needed. I did check with the LFS and they use RO water, so the pH is totally different. I definitely don't want to mess with changing the pH, I just wasn't sure how to put the fish in a tank with a totally different pH.

9. jpm995

jpm995Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +98
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If the ph isn't too different [over 1] very slow acclimation [1 hour] just adding water slowly to the bag [or use the drip method] should be enough. Most fish are ok with a ph of 8, discus and cardinals are supposed to need a lower ph but they may be able to adjust.

10. OP
    OP
    Snooze

SnoozeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Great. I'm not planning on getting discus or cardinals anyway.

11. YATT

YATTWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +608
    Experience:
    Just started
    pH test is very quick. Get some of their water and test it on the spot and make a determination. My LFS was like 7.6-7.8

12. OP
    OP
    Snooze

SnoozeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    OK, sounds like a good plan

13. Chaory

ChaoryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +147
    I wouldn’t worried about the pH too much, as long as it stays steadily. These are captive bred, they can handle changes, as long as it’s steadily.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  14. OP
    OP
    Snooze

SnoozeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks

15. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,796
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What kind of fish are you looking to get?

Usually matching a PH isnt necessary. USUALLY. Best thing to do is know your PH and the stores. If its a BIG difference, float the bag you bring them home in in their new tank for 15 minutes to start temp acclimating them if necessary. Then add a small amount of your tank water to their bag. I like to do 10-20% depending on how far apart the PH is. I add that amount of water every 20ish minutes until I know its close to the same. Then, in a bucket, put a net and dump the new fish into the net allowing the bag water to go into the bucket. Put your new fish in their tank.

If the PH and temps are close, I just dump them into the net immediately and put them right in. NEVER had a fish die or get sick doing this, and I constantly move fish from tank to tank with this method.