How To Make Your Own Filter Pad?

1. Latias

Latias New Member Member

Hey guys! I'm curious about making my own filter pad instead of using the carbon cartridge ones that Aqueon wants you to replace every month and also cause an ammonia spike when one does so. I've read that people use felt squares of some sort and sew it to a cartridge. How do I do something like this and where do I buy the materials? Thank you for your help! :happy:

2. THE HABITAT

THE HABITAT Well Known Member Member

I found that a lot of people use the poly-fil ultra-loft quilt batting ( thats what it says on the front of it ) from walmart. I recently put it in my 8.8 as a filter replacment. its a roll and i just measured the old filter and cut the batting twice the size and folded it and inserted it into the filter holder....first time trying it but heard nothing but good results from it...hope it works for me...

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I like the Marineland Rite-Size bonded filter pads which can double as your mechanical and bio filtration. Just cut to fit your filter box. Carbon is optional so you don't need to add that. You can also add some ceramic rings to increase the surface area for the bacteria to colonize.

4. OP
    OP
    Latias

Latias New Member Member

Hey, this sounds awesome! Thanks for the reply. Can I of course keep this filter pad in more than a month (I've heard its best to change them when they start to deteriorate)

5. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

The Aqueon pads can be used for over a month. I've had a pad in one of my Aqueon filters that's been in there for years.

Just a marketing ploy to get you to buy more pads. You do not have to replace them until they are literally falling apart.

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You don't need to replace them unless they start falling apart. Just rinse them in old tank water.

You can keep the cartridges and rinse them the same way as well but the carbon is useless after a couple of weeks so you could just cut a slit and remove them. Most people just modify the media like I explained before instead of using the cartridges.

7. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

I just bought the manufacturer pads and keep them, after removing the carbon that has been used up. Mine is going on 1.5 years now. With the extra space in the filter, I added additional media like the posts above have mentioned.

since you want to add your own filter pad, just keep the frame of the pad you did buy, and wrap/attach the new filter pad material to that.