How to make sure who the father is?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by samth, Mar 19, 2010.

1. s

samth New Member Member

I have a young male guppie (2months, three days) and I bought a store female that I want to breed to him.

As she's store bought I'm aware that she'll most likely be pre-hit. Do I wait for her to have fry and then a day or so after put her in with the male?

Any suggestions?

2. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Sounds like you answered your own dilemma. Seems like the only thing you can do to be sure.

3. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

indeed it does. good luck!

also, remember that the females can store sperm, so he may even end up not being the father of her next few drops

4. OP
    OP
    s

samth New Member Member

Thanks for the advice - I"ll keep an eye on her. Besides which I can afford to wait for her to drop fry given I want the males to develop a little more. Only just discovered a deformity in one of them today. Upwards bent back - he looks silly. xD

5. Weedcali

Weedcali New Member Member

Yes, they store sperm. its better to just keep your females and males separated and use virgin females so you know whos related to who.

6. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Yup the others are right, I had a female that went for about 7 months without a male before she stopped dropping :( lol

7. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

Let the store bought female drop a month at most.

Raise the fry seperate males and females as soon as you can tell them apart about 4-6 weeks. When the females are 3 months put them with the male you like and then for sure you know who daddy is.

AND SO ON AND SO ON This is how the top guppy guys do it. They keep all the females they can and breed them to there top guy.

8. m

mattmc12 New Member Member

If you want to breed, the best setup would be a 10 with sponge filter,heater at about 78 to 80, and then 2 females to 1 male. When they breed, as soon as you can tell the difference, separate the males and females. I get the best results that way

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice