How to make sure that my black mystery snail is getting enough food!

rmarkham

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, I have a ten gallon freshwater tank, and I have 2 gold mollies, 2 swordtails, 2 platys, and one glo fish(he is a little deformed so the fish store gave him to me for free! he's adorable)

I also have one black mystery snail, I'm not sure how to tell if he is eating enough, or if I should be feeding him something other than flake food, I also have blood worms.

thanks!

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could drop a slice of cucumber or zucchini in the tank and I am sure he would tear it up, just don't leave it in there too long as it will start to get rotten after time. It should be large enough so the other fish won't bother with it and be sure to weigh it down. Different lettuce will work as well just don't bother with iceberg(no nutritional value whatsoever).

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I have moved your thread to the Freshwater Invertebrates section of the forum.

Thanks!
Ken

rmarkham

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll pick some up today!

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do zuchinni or squash, if you put it in a bowl and microwave it with water (enough to cover it) for 3-4 min it will be blanched and be softer (easier for them to eat) and will sink, so you dont have to weigh it down.

I put in a slice a day (because I have many snails) but you could do it 1-2 times a week, put the slice in before bed and take it out in the morning or put it in in the morning and take it out at night. I wouldnt leave it in the tank more than 10 hours as then it would probably start to decay.

My fish and shrimp also get at the veggies I put in the tank, but its no biggie, everyone gets enough.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thawed, then blanched peas or green beans work too. My ramshorn snails love them (but the nerites couldn't care less).

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads