How to make pH of 6.2 more basic?

1. HikingRN Initiate Member

Hello! My pH is 6.2 (acidic) any tips on how to make it more basic?

This site has some great advice, wish I had known about it a long time ago! At least now I know why my snail died a long time ago. I blamed my other fish at the time, but I think it was just acidic water.

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Crushed coral is a great natural way to slowly raise your PH. In a 20g tank, maybe 1/2 cup well-rinsed should start showing you some results. You can always increase the amount later on if it doesn't raise it enough.

Hope this helps:)

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

4. DRock914 Member Member

You can try a product called neutral regulator by seachem. That's what I use. It will bring the pH up to 7.0 but if you have fish in the tank that product might be harmful to your fish because it will cause a big jump in pH. There are also natural ways that I am not sure of I think you can use crushed coral.

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I would suggest not doing it this way. Chemicals can be very unstable.

6. DRock914 Member Member

What do you mean by unstable? I never had an issue and my dad has been using it for 20 years with no issues. What kind of problems have happened due to the chemicals?

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with Meenu. Chemicals do more harm than good with Ph adjustments and can actually cause your cycle to crash.

8. DRock914 Member Member

I didn't know that it can crash your cycle. I never had that issue but that doesn't mean someone else won't.

9. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Raising your Ph is safer than trying to lower it. Using shells and coral are a safe slow way to get the Ph to go up. Chemicals, as stated above can cause a very quick Ph jump and be harmful to the fish, etc.
    I've used chemicals in the past and did have trouble and Ph shock, killing all my fish, but it was when Lowering the Ph from very hard water to low as in 6.5 and 6.0.

10. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with the others, chemicals to change PH levels are bad news. I've never used them but I've heard lots of horror stories of lost fish due to rapid PH changes & crashes at water changes at my local aquarium society. Go with the shells or a little bit of limestone. If you want to be precise about it you could use Bicarbonate Soda but the shells should work just fine.