How To Make My Flowerhorn And Bpc Polyamorous

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Flowehorn Macaroni is **** bent on being a devoted mono with my BPC Sarah. So is she. After my first batch of fry I am not really looking to have more Classic Kamfa fry but I want some flowerhorn fry instead.

Classic Kamfa story here
An Accidental Flowerhorn Owner

So last Thursday I put a divider and And put Ruby my female flowerhorn with Macaroni after having moved out both fry and Sarah out.

I put a yet to be named blood parrot male(been with me 2months) with Sarah in an antoher breeder tank(not to breed, but I thought at least he would keep her company even if most likely infertile).

But Both Sarah and Macaroni did not accept my choices for them. Today after 4days, I slid Ruby to Macaroni's area and he immediately went after her, chased her around until she exhausted and ended up with split tail fin.

And the other blood parrot male has been bumped and pushed by Sarah for all these 4 days. Even if she didnt hurt him physically. She made him curl up in a corner almost all the time.

So just now I put Sarah and Macaroni back in their breeder tank and Macaroni immediately went in for shimmy dance around her.. And Sarah has started cleaning the flowerpot. No aggression ONLY LOVE. They do remember each other very well.

May be 4days was not enough for them to forget each other? Anyway Ruby as of this evening is in that small breeder, I brought back Sarah from.

Ruby is small, at only 5" and she is with another 5"+ very friendly and my only commable(as of now) FH Fusilli. They seem to have paired off. But he won't be able to father anything at least for next 4months I think as he is still young.

Right now I am trying to explain to Macaroni on merits of polyamory, the need for spreading the genes for the greater good etc. He seems to be listening. But nods his head sideways to show disagreement all the time May be few months down the line after Ruby crosses 6" I will try this again. Hopefully I can convince him by that time.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cause the spawns to fail, it can lead to a "divorce" between the fish (you will have to be careful trying this as the flowerhorn might get aggressive over not being able to spread his genes and cause harm to your BP). Remove the decor from the tank, make them unhappy to the point that (when moved to another tank with a new mate where they can easily spawn) they want to spawn with whatever partner you provide.
This might not work, some pairs are very devoted to each other, however sometimes you can cause the fish to accept another mate. The main thing is to have a different tank than the fish you are wanting to breed than what they are used to (aka don't put your flowerhorn in his current tank, move him, if he is moved he will be uncomfortable).

RonJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah. Thanks. Anyway spawn 3 is in progress. Wigglers will come anyday. This time I am gonna let them care for the fry while I think of ways to make him accept Ruby(FH female). Anyway Ruby is now paired up with my younger FH Fusilli. But I don’t think he can produce viable offsprings considering he is just 8months old. Malao won’t get fertile until 1.5 years. Even Macaroni took more than that.

Update
This evening when I came back, I saw Ruby was wearing the spawning black skirt. Sure enough there are 100s of eggs. None white so far. But I don’t believe it. I don’t think at 4”+ Fusilli can fertilize them. But he is fanning and lip locking with Ruby and showing general spawning aggression. And she is letting him take turns. It will be a miracle if they can spawn now since is actually almost his length or may be even slightly longer. She is 1year plus older. He is 8months old but wider. He doesn’t even have much of a Kok. Interesting at least.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom